Overview of booking fees for reservations/supplements

• 18 March 2022
  • 4 replies

I couldn’t find an overview of booking fees when buying reservations/supplements for various trains. Next to online platforms, it seems that local train operators charge different fees when buying reservation at a customer service center. Does such an overview exist? If not, please add info below, ideally with an online reference. It would be great if Eurail can aid in compiling/correcting such a list.

NOTE: This is not about the reservations/supplements themselves, which are well documented.

Online platforms:

Train operators (online / local customer service):

• DB: Germany - France (TGV/ICE): 3 € per seat

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ACPRail seems to have a different policy per train type. I did a few tests:

• Eurostar: 2.4€ booking fee per seat
  • Thalys: 2.4€ booking fee per seat and the reservation itself is 1€ more expensive per seat.
  • TGV within France: no booking fee but the reservation itself is 4€ more expensive per seat.

Thanks for the input.

• DB Germany - France: I figured out just now, it’s not an actual “booking fee” but they charge 16 € flat for the supplement (incl. reservation). Interestingly, without distinction of 1st and 2nd class. (Internationale Beförderungsbedingungen, in german, SCIC-Sonderbestimmungen, 2.5.3)

from the same reference:

• DB-ÖBB cooperation Brenner (EC - Brenner): supplement 10 € / 15 € (2./1. class)
  • DB ECE Frankfurt-Milano: supplement 11 € / 13 € (2./1. class) - only for Global Passes! - for OneCountryPasses the supplement is distance dependent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB Germany - France: I figured out just now, it’s not an actual “booking fee” but they charge 16 € flat for the supplement (incl. reservation). Interestingly, without distinction of 1st and 2nd class. (Internationale Beförderungsbedingungen, in german, SCIC-Sonderbestimmungen, 2.5.3)

Thanks. I knew the document but hadn't compared prices with reservations from Interrail. We should ask DB how these different prices are possible.

DB ECE Frankfurt-Milano: supplement 11 € / 13 € (2./1. class) - only for Global Passes! - for OneCountryPasses the supplement is distance dependent.

That's the price for any international reservation (also in the EC trains) with a global pass from Italy to Switzerland. Although you actually only need one to Domodossola, which is 10€ and not quota-controlled...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The 10/15€ for the Brennero EC is chargeable to all types of passes and includes, IF done beforehand at a station, the REServ., but it is also payable without-and can even be done , apparently still, on the train (even though In DE there are no more payments in trains done). It only applies to trips to/fro ITaly, not for AT-DE.

On tripadvisor I just read that Italrail is in fact a single person in Boston/Mass-USA who makes some extra pocket money by doing the REServations for passholders at a premium. Comparable to the horrible rail-ninja in HongKong who does traintickets. Unconfirmed though