Solved

Paper Ticket Status Delivery Failed - (Ticket from Montpellier to Madrid)

• 31 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi, my paper tickets for the journey from Montpellier to Madrid did not arrive in the mail. PostNL status indicates that delivery has failed on 21 Oct, after reaching a Switzerland sorting centre, with no further updates thereafter. I contacted swiss post which told me they do not have the location of the item, and I need to tell the sender to raise an enquiry with postNL. 

I am waiting for a reply from postNL and Eurail on what to do next. 

In the meantime, I was hoping to draw on the advise from the community on what to do. I travel in around 2 weeks time. Unfortunately It's only after facing such problems that I read many comments in the community warning about buying paper tickets.

My questions are

1. Should I request to cancel and refund my tickets, then quickly book a new one?

2. If I book a new ticket, should I do it through eurail again and hope it goes through this time?

3. If I'm in switzerland, am I able to visit a swiss ticket office (as mentioned by Rgvborgt in a guide) to buy a ticket? Also, will the ticket be the full cost, or will i only pay the reservation fee? Do I show my eurail pass to the ticket office so that I only pay a reservation fee?

Many thanks in advance

- a stressed traveller

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 31 October 2022, 14:00

View original

5 replies

Thanks for the replies. I will request eurail for a refund and try booking by phoning sncf.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi, it is for the date of 18 Nov. 

Sorry, Is there a way to book while in Italy? Because I am currently in Italy and will not reach Switzerland until 5 Nov.

5 November could still be OK but 18 Nov. is on a Friday and Fridays are always busier so pass holder seats sell out faster. Currently, reservations are still available.

I doubt if Trenitalia can sell this reservation but you can always ask at a ticket office. Price should be €35 in 2nd class or €49 in 1st class.

Alternatively, you can call SNCF (reservations are sent via email) or SBB (pick up your reservation when you come to Switzerland) as explained here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You should not cancel the ticket yourself as that will most likely not give you a full refund of the reservation cost. You need to raise a request with Customer Support and explain what has happened and ask for a 100% refund of the cost of the reservation.

Please use the form below to contact them.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Hi, it is for the date of 18 Nov. 

Sorry, Is there a way to book while in Italy? Because I am currently in Italy and will not reach Switzerland until 5 Nov.

Also in this case will the best way be to immediately request for the ticket cancellation and refund from eurail, wait for their confirmation and then go to a ticket office to book?

Thanks for your reply :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For what date is this journey?

In Switzerland (and Germany and France) you can buy a reservation only at the ticket office, without any added fees. But the number of seats available to pass holders is limited, so you shouldn't wait too long to book.