Solved

Pass activation and no seat reservation needed

• 14 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone, We are visiting Europe from Canada in June and July 2023. I am booking each part of our journey. So far I’ve reserved seats on the following routes: Barcelona to Paris, Paris to London and London to Brussels. All these routes require a reservation. However, when I try to reserve from Brussels to Amsterdam, no reservations are required so I cannot book anything. I read on another post that this segment has to be added as a journey through the app, but the app is very confusing. I haven’t activated the pass because I read it’s better to do it closer to my trip in case plans change, so when I click on “My Pass” in the app, I can see the pass for each member of my family, but when I click on “My Trip”, it only asks me to create a trip but I cannot see the one I created on my laptop, where I’ve been reserving seats. Am I supposed to activate my passes so that I can see the trip I’ve been working on in my laptop, or will I have to create a new, separate trip on the app? What happens then with the reservations I’m creating on the laptop? Can anyone please help?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 April 2023, 23:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Brussels to Amsterdam has an intercity train each hour, for which you can't book reservations. Just add the train to your pass, board and find a seat.

Every train you take has to be added to your trip and, before you board a train, to your pass. Then you have a valid ticket. For a train that requires a reservation, you need a reservation additionally.

Reservations are entirely separate from your pass. The app does not synchronise with the website.

Check here for the basics:

https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

And this page is also useful:

https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm#how-to-use-a-mobile-pass

So the reservations I make on the website cannot be seen on the app. Got it.

Now, if we are travelling mid June, and I’ve already started making and paying for my reservations, would it be a good idea to activate the pass on the app (it’s only a couple of months before, and we are proceeding with the trip no matter what), and add the Brussels to Amsterdam journey as soon as possible? Would I even be able to do that at this stage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Now, if we are travelling mid June, and I’ve already started making and paying for my reservations, would it be a good idea to activate the pass on the app (it’s only a couple of months before, and we are proceeding with the trip no matter what), and add the Brussels to Amsterdam journey as soon as possible? Would I even be able to do that at this stage?

It's not a good idea to activate a pass in advance (or a travel day if you have a flexipass). You can only cancel activation until 23:59 CET before validity starts. If something unexpected happens after that, e.g. you wake up ill, it will be too late to cancel activation and you'll loose one or more travel days.

You can already create a trip and add journeys. You can also already do step 1 and 2 of the activation procedure:

https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just one point to add to the previous posts.(I found this out after my first time).

As a laptop user, when I first started researching for an Interrail experience I used the online/web planner and created a “Trip”. I assumed that once I had a pass it would simply sync with my Web created trip. It doesn’t and as advised above, you need to transfer the full list to your Trip in the app and for each user’s trip - but if you have all passes on one device that can be done very easily as you add journeys from the planner.