Solved

Price of set reservations from France to Italy

• 5 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi!

I want to travel from Grenoble (FR) to Torino (IT).

I see that there are some trains that do not allow passholders (Ok), others that have a big price (again, understood although not happy with it) and others that have the 33 eur price. 

In the eurail website I see that the price for seat reservations in FR-IT trains is 31 eur (+ 2 eur for the fee),  so it fits.

But, when I click on any of the trains with the marked “33 eur”, the figure changes to 58 eur. 

Why is it? Is it a bug? How can I book a seat for 31+2 eur?

Thanks to all of you!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 August 2023, 01:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

31€ (+2€ fee) is indeed the price for the international TGVs in 2nd class on this route. Maybe you got the 1st class fare ? In any case it is way too expensive for such a short journey imho...

Book well in advance as it is a really popular route. Trains definitely sell out.

If you'd like to avoid the fee there is a bus between Modane and Bardonecchia. More details here : https://www.bardonecchia.it/come-muoversi-a-bardonecchia/linee-extraurbane/

3.60€ is much better than 33€ but of course it takes a bit longer. Schedule example :

- TER Grenoble - Chambéry 11:58 - 12:38

- Bus Chambéry - Modane 12:51 - 14:25

- Bus Modane - Bardonecchia 14:30 - 15:00

- R Bardonecchia - Torino Porta Nuova 15:21 - 16:45

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is the timetable for the bus that I have seen.

31€ (+2€ fee) is indeed the price for the international TGVs in 2nd class on this route. Maybe you got the 1st class fare ? In any case it is way too expensive for such a short journey imho...

Book well in advance as it is a really popular route. Trains definitely sell out.

If you'd like to avoid the fee there is a bus between Modane and Bardonecchia. More details here : https://www.bardonecchia.it/come-muoversi-a-bardonecchia/linee-extraurbane/

3.60€ is much better than 33€ but of course it takes a bit longer. Schedule example :

- TER Grenoble - Chambéry 11:58 - 12:38

- Bus Chambéry - Modane 12:51 - 14:25

- Bus Modane - Bardonecchia 14:30 - 15:00

- R Bardonecchia - Torino Porta Nuova 15:21 - 16:45

Thanks a lot!

Do you have any information about the Bus Chambery - Modane? I have seen in the SNCF website, that there are TER trains from Chambery to Modane (as well as “Modane frontiere”)? Would the TER trains valid to connect with the buses Modane-Bardonecchia

Again, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are TER trains and buses between Chambéry and Modane : sometimes it's a bus, sometimes it's a train (SNCF in a nutshell). All operated by SNCF so your pass is valid everywhere.

Thanks thibcabe