Solved

Problem booking French trains

• 8 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello, I will be traveling this Friday from Rennes, France to Vienna, then to Munich and then back to Rennes.

However, I cannot book my seats and I am starting to get a little bitt worried.

What can I do in this case?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 8 February 2022, 20:05

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You only need a reservation for the TGV Rennes to Paris and the Nightjet Paris to Vienna. 

And a reservation for the ICE Stuttgart to Paris and TGV Paris to Rennes. For all other trains you can get on the train without a reservation but you can buy one the be shure to get a seat (it should be not so full due to the current situation). The ICE to Paris has only a small number of reservations for Eurail users, buy it asap. 

Are you currently in France? Then go to the next train station and buy at a ticket office or automatic ticket machine of SNCF. Please buy the reservation also for your trip back to Rennes. 

You can also buy it online via Eurail Reservation Service, SNCB/NMBS International (via Railplanner App [More>Seat Reservation>France] and for the Nightjet also via tickets.oebb.at (manual linked by rvdborgt)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you're currently in France, the best is to go to a ticket office for TGV reservations. That's also the cheapest option, since the Eurail website charges an extra 2 EUR per person per train. There are still seats left for 20 EUR on the train from Rennes (the Eurail website still has a problem to show these reservations).

For the night train Paris - Vienna, you can probably also book at the ticket office, but online it is possible via the ÖBB website, using this manual. There are still seats available for EUR 19.90; couchettes for 49.90 or sleepers from 79.00.

Vienna to Munich has optional reservations and can be booked via ÖBB website or ÖBB ticket office (3 EUR/seat). Munich to Paris to Rennes by TGV should be bookable via the French ticket office as well. Post your exact timetable (incl. date) for more detailed advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On which day will you be making this trip?

This Friday

This is my whole itinerary, unfortunately I cannot book online.

I´m afraid I will have to go in person