Solved

Problem with connection in Hamburg

Hello there!

First time using interrail… I plan to go from Paris to Lund in Sweden on August 17th. When I try to pay for my seat reservations it says that the connection cannot be booked right now. So I tried yesterday and now today again. It seems like there is a problem of connection around Hamburg.

I checked DB website and there it says that the Manheim Hbf - Hamburg Hbf trip is cancelled. However there is an arrow and then it says Hamburg-Altona. Does anybody know if that means that the train will still go to Hamburg but stop at Altona station instead of Hbf?

In this case I would be up for any tip regarding the quickest way to go from Altona to Hbf ^^

Thank’s a lot in advance!

Madou

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 3 August 2023, 16:49

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Where are you trying to book reservations?

Which exact trains are you looking at the make seat reservations?

Can you provide a snippet from the Mannheim - Hamburg stretch?

Hi Brendan! Thank’s for your reply!

At first I was trying through interrail’s website, but then I went onto DB’s. I am checking the 16:32 train from Manheim Hbf to Hamburg Hbf.

Now I even checked until Hamburg-Altona but it seems like I can’t make a reservation either, so probably the whole trip is indeed cancelled?

Hmm, now it strange because I just tried again on DB (I mean bahn) website and now I can actually make a reservation. I am a bit sceptical though, hope it won’t be cancelled...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I don’t see anything other than usual, on DB everything seems normal for the ICE 267, leaving Mannheim at 16:32. Just don’t rely on the Rail planner app, it’s not reliable as it doesn’t get a lot of updates.

Book your seat reservatoin via www.bahn.com for this stretch, or https://www.oebb.at/en/ to be slighlty cheaper (use seat reservation only).

In doubt ALWAYS trust the information of the railway company you’ll be using (here = DB), never the rail planner app.

Great, thank you a lot for your help!! Good tip with oebb.at ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No problem, enjoy your trip.

And even if it should be diverted to Hamburg Altona, Hbf a +/- 10 min ride away with the very frequent S-Bahn.

Hej, sorry again but now even without booking the train between Manheim and Hamburg it seems impossible. I am not using eurail’s app but the website. Any idea on what’s wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seats are sold out on the Hamburg - Lund night train. You'll have to buy a couchette for 830 SEK (70€) on sj.se.

You could get a couchette for 499 SEK (42€)on the other night train to Malmö : 23:57 - 07:35. I'd recommend doing that since you have a better margin in Hamburg for delays. Buy on snalltaget.se

Then buy a regular ticket Malmö - Lund.

If you'd like to book Mannheim - Hamburg (optional), it's best to use ÖBB : 3€ per train.

Thank you. Yes that was issue. Have a nice day! Madou

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Seats are sold out on the Hamburg - Lund night train. You'll have to buy a couchette for 830 SEK (70€) on sj.se.

@thibcabe for 830 SEK you get a sleeper, not a couchette, at the SJ Euronight.