Solved

Rail Planner app shows contradictory information about InterCity (IC) seat reseverations in France

• 15 May 2023
  • 3 replies

• Full steam ahead
  • 2 replies

The RailPlanner app (v 30.7.0 on Android) shows contradictory information about seat reserverations in InterCity (IC) trains in France:

But:

• there were apparently passengers in the IC without any reservation
  • the RailPlanner app shows reservations as optional for ICs in the country information screen (The ¹ there just says “Reservations are mandatory for trains in Normandy.”, which does not apply.)

The connection is the IC 4659 from Toulouse to Narbonne.

icon

Best answer by rugk 15 May 2023, 14:10

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Most Intercité trains in France have mandatory reservations, including this one.

Support has replied to me:

“I am sorry for all the confusion that has been casued by this matter. Hopefully I can clear it up.

There are some trains travelling this route that do not require reservations, but others, like the IC4659 that have mandatory reservations. Different train has different amenities and travel at different speeds, more direct routes etc. There a a lot of reasons why one train may require a reservation and why some may not.

Everything what I can see form my side says that reservations for this particular train are mandatory. As for the people that have been travelling without a reservation, they may be just regular commuters, or have bought a train ticket. Keep in mind that often the reservations as you understand them only apply to pass holders.

When in doubt regarding reservations, always defer to the information found in our online timetable, this is the most current and up to date.”

(Another) support agent also told me the responsible (i guess app) team will be noticed.

Actually also thanks to that amazing support! Interrail support replied me within less than an hour via mail. I did not expect such a great support experience!