Solved

Renfe REG EXP Reservation Required?

• 28 April 2022
  • 8 replies

From what I understand, pretty much every train operated by Renfe requires a reservation with the exception of REGIONAL trains like the commuter lines around major cities.

However, I noticed that there are some long distance lines that are REG EXP trains. Would these be the same as REGIONAL trains in that they don’t require a reservation?

Example:

18214 REG.EXP. From Leon to Palencia

18105 REG.EXP. From Palencia to Santander

The Eurail website doesn’t mention these types of trains, only that AVE/ALVIA/AVANT/MD require reservations.

icon

Best answer by Marion 2 May 2022, 15:46

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Rogue,

In the DB Navigator the 18214 shows up as a regional train, without reservations. I can’t find the same train in the Rail Planner.

I think you can take this train, but you can always contact the train company to be a 100% sure.

@Nanja in the Rail Planner app there’s only 1 connection a day between Leon and Palencia, while the DB Navigator shows connections almost every hour. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the DB Navigator the 18214 shows up as a regional train, without reservations. I can’t find the same train in the Rail Planner.

I think you can take this train, but you can always contact the train company to be a 100% sure.

@Nanja in the Rail Planner app there’s only 1 connection a day between Leon and Palencia, while the DB Navigator shows connections almost every hour. 

Ah, this is great. That means that RENFE have finally delivered a more complete timetable to the European Timetable Centre. The rail planner app should normally get it with the next app update.

If the train information in the DB info says there's no mandatory reservation, then that is probably correct. There are also regional trains with mandatory reservations, such as Badajos to Puertollano, and the DB planner does show that, which means RENFE seem to have included the correct train attributes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Rogue,

Hi! My colleague in charge of the timetable will come back to me on that point. Cheers,

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

From what I understand, pretty much every train operated by Renfe requires a reservation with the exception of REGIONAL trains like the commuter lines around major cities.

However, I noticed that there are some long distance lines that are REG EXP trains. Would these be the same as REGIONAL trains in that they don’t require a reservation?

Example:

18214 REG.EXP. From Leon to Palencia

18105 REG.EXP. From Palencia to Santander

The Eurail website doesn’t mention these types of trains, only that AVE/ALVIA/AVANT/MD require reservations.

Hi, The only trains that don't require mandatory seat reservation in Spain are the Cercanias (RE). I hope this helps. Cheers,

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi, The only trains that don't require mandatory seat reservation in Spain are the Cercanias (RE).

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Cercanías (and Rodalies in Catalonia) indeed do not require reservations but are not included in the rail planner app, only in RENFE's own website and sometimes on regional websites (i.e. in Catalonia). But they would not be abbreviated with "RE".

RENFE definitely also have some regional trains without reservations, e.g. Madrid to Segovia and probably the train mentioned above (León to Palencia). Some other regional trains have mandatory reservations and of course RENFE don’t show the difference on their website, so we need to rely on other sources.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

RE do NOT need REServaciones-and cannot even be done on.

This also applies to CE=Catalunya Express, which run in that region only and a little more frequently.

However-most are old electric sets often even without AC-and often vandalised.

There is also (as I found out when it was heavily delayed just before my own trian a few weeks ago) one such left for MAD-BCN, via the old classic lines and taking some 12 hrs (plus delay), daytime. And 1 along coast BCN-Valencia. So I learnt something that untill then I was unaware of.

You CAN check it-but that needs effort- by trying to plan/book a normal trip in the RENFE booking engine. it will show: tickets only available on the day from office, NO advance e-tickets!

It may be the case that for shorter sections an advacne ticket for AVE is cheaper as the normal full fare for RE-IF booked a few days in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

RE do NOT need REServaciones-and cannot even be done on.

Some do need them. Remember this is RENFE.

You CAN check it-but that needs effort- by trying to plan/book a normal trip in the RENFE booking engine. it will show: tickets only available on the day from office, NO advance e-tickets!

Here's an example of an RE with mandatory reservations:

I used it a few years ago, had not bought a reservation and still had to buy one (4€) from the ticket inspector. DB also show this train with mandatory reservations.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi, I just got a reply from my colleague. If in doubt about timetable data in the App, please always compare with Timetable on the website. Both are using same source, but App gets updated less frequently. This is especially noticeably in months like now (and November/Dec), before biannually timetable updates are shared by all carriers. The timetable on the website is quite in line with the timetable on Renfe's website, so the App will follow during our next release. Cheers,