Reservation Amsterdam - Zuerich, price for a berth in triple sleeper

• 14 December 2021
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sven you asked in the post “How to get Reservations” the price for a berth in a triple sleeper with a Railpass :)

The price is 74€ with Interrail or Eurail and the sleeper is very popular and already sold out for some depatures :) That´s why you may get no results :)

22 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Sven you asked in the post “How to get Reservations” the price for a berth in a triple sleeper with a Railpass :)

The price is 74€ with Interrail or Eurail and the sleeper is very popular and already sold out for some depatures 🙂 That´s why you may get no results :)

Hey @seewulf ,

I have searched many different dates for Nightjet Amsterdam Zurich, but I keep coming to these pages. Am I doing something wrong or do you see the same?

I can't choose where I want to sleep, either without the discount or with the Interrail discount.

It can't be that all these dates are full 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Did you click on "Change” and enter "Interrail / Eurail” reduction? If yes, then please try on a pc instead of your phone. I just checked and there is availability in the sleeper coaches. No couchettes, strangely enough.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello @seewulf @rvdborgt 

I saw a message from Elias on twitter that this connection is offered as both IC and Nightjet, I know why I can't make a choice for a sleeping cabin and berth.
I mistakenly chose the IC on the OBB website, but this is also tempting to click on.

Now I see a price of 144 euros, for a sleeping cabin for 1 person.
It is a pity that it is not yet possible to have a private toilet and shower in your cabin.

So, I finally managed to solve something without your help :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grinning::sunglasses:

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I would like more information about the possibility to choose this connection for the IC.
What's the point of this?

Is the price of 191.20 euros then a seat?

Would like to know more information about this. Thank you in advance!

If you select the discount code interrail at the IC, you will see a price of 0 euros, standard ticket?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I would like more information about the possibility to choose this connection for the IC.

The IC coaches are separate coaches. The point is that there's no obligatory reservation for the IC (4 EUR via DB for an optional one), you can also use it for shorter connections (e.g. from/to Frankfurt Airport) and that you can book through tickets with connecting trains (if you're not using Interrail), also using DB (Super)Sparpreis tickets.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

The IC coaches are separate coaches. The point is that there's no obligatory reservation for the IC (4 EUR via DB for an optional one), you can also use it for shorter connections (e.g. from/to Frankfurt Airport) and that you can book through tickets with connecting trains (if you're not using Interrail), also using DB (Super)Sparpreis tickets.

What is the price of 191 euros?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

191€ is the price of a standard international ticket in 2. class between Zürich and Amsterdam. 

ÖBB can’t sell for the IC part “Supersparpreis” or “Sparpreis” of DB only the standard international fare. You can buy this saver fare at DB, SBB or NS. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

191€ is the price of a standard international ticket in 2. class between Zürich and Amsterdam. 

ÖBB can’t sell for the IC part “Supersparpreis” or “Sparpreis” of DB only the standard international fare. You can buy this saver fare at DB, SBB or NS. 

Where can you sit for this price on the IC?
Do you only have a seat at the IC Amsterdam Zurich for this price?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes, you have only a seat. Because the couchette and sleeping cars run as Nightjet. 

But nobody will buy at this price a seat in the IC carriages. Most of the people have a saver fare (like 19,90€ or more) or have a Interrail and can sit there without paying nothing, even without reservation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Where can you sit for this price on the IC?
Do you only have a seat at the IC Amsterdam Zurich for this price?

You'll have a full fare ticket without reservation and you can choose a seat yourself in one of the IC coaches. I suppose ÖBB doesn't sell Sparschiene tickets for the IC because this train doesn't touch Austria. Although they should consider selling them IMO.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Yes, you have only a seat. Because the couchette and sleeping cars run as Nightjet. 

But nobody will buy at this price a seat in the IC carriages. Most of the people have a saver fare (like 19,90€ or more) or have a Interrail and can sit there without paying nothing, even without reservation. 

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Another question : If you opt for the IC, and choose a standard ticket, it will say: Valid from December 29, 00:00 to December 30, 23:59.

Does this mean that your ticket is still valid for the whole day in the country of arrival with this IC, so for example December 30th until 11:59 pm?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Another question : If you opt for the IC, and choose a standard ticket, it will say: Valid from December 29, 00:00 to December 30, 23:59.

Does this mean that your ticket is still valid for the whole day in the country of arrival with this IC, so for example December 30th until 11:59 pm?

Looks like a standard international ticket with a 2-day validity on any train of the participating operators on this route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sven 

The Standard validity for International Tickets are the day of travel + 1 :) But carefull with Saverfares “Sparpreise” as these are often bounded on a fixed Fasttrain (ICE,EC,IC) and you can use just Regionaltrains along the Route freely :)

With a standard ticket for the Price of 190€you can use any IC and Regionaltrain Train along the Route (ICE is a bit more expensive)

I use for example sometimes these two days to get from North Germany via Zürich to Graz :D As i love the EC163/EC164 Transalpin with the Swiss Panoramic Car :)
I use then the EC8/EC9 (with a swiss Panoramic car through the Rhinevalley) to Zürich stay there one Night and catch the next day the EC to Graz :) Quite often i get the saverfare “Sparpreis” for just 49€ in 1st Class on this Route (The Panoramic Cars are a 1st Class car)
49€ for two days of train travel is quite fair in my experience :D

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Sven 

The Standard validity for International Tickets are the day of travel + 1 :) But carefull with Saverfares “Sparpreise” as these are often bounded on a fixed Fasttrain (ICE,EC,IC) and you can use just Regionaltrains along the Route freely :)

With a standard ticket for the Price of 190€you can use any IC and Regionaltrain Train along the Route (ICE is a bit more expensive)

I use for example sometimes these two days to get from North Germany via Zürich to Graz :D As i love the EC163/EC164 Transalpin with the Swiss Panoramic Car :)
I use then the EC8/EC9 (with a swiss Panoramic car through the Rhinevalley) to Zürich stay there one Night and catch the next day the EC to Graz :) Quite often i get the saverfare “Sparpreis” for just 49€ in 1st Class on this Route (The Panoramic Cars are a 1st Class car)
49€ for two days of train travel is quite fair in my experience :D

Thank you for your extensive explanation.

I don't see an explanation of this rate on the OBB website, DB Bahn already has some more info.

Thanks to you it's much clearer now anyway, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The Standard validity for International Tickets are the day of travel + 1 :) 

It's actually 4 days but some railways decided that 2 days is enough…

Interestingly, DB quotes the full fare as EUR 170,30.

Do I understand it correctly? So we can sit in the IC coach instead of the nightjet one, without any reservations & extra payments, and make the full journey between Amsterdam & Zurich? :grin:

I am a bit confused because the app only shows the nightjet part, which a reservation costs 145 euros on the reservation tool of interrrail. So how would we add the journey for the IC part to our pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Do I understand it correctly? So we can sit in the IC coach instead of the nightjet one, without any reservations & extra payments, and make the full journey between Amsterdam & Zurich? :grin:

I am a bit confused because the app only shows the nightjet part, which a reservation costs 145 euros on the reservation tool of interrrail. So how would we add the journey for the IC part to our pass?

Yes, for the IC part you don’t Need a reservation. About adding in the app I don’t know - might be a Bug as the IC is not shown in the app. Maybe you can add it manually? 

Yes, for the IC part you don’t Need a reservation. About adding in the app I don’t know - might be a Bug as the IC is not shown in the app. Maybe you can add it manually? 

For clarification, I can add the nightjet ride to my pass, which says reservation is mandatory. But looking from other train ticket providers (SBB, OBB, DB), I see that there are separate tickets and ride codes for nightjet & IC although practically it’s the same train. I of course wouldn’t like to get in trouble for having nightjet in my pass, but sitting in the IC coach and not having a reservation :sweat_smile:

What do you mean by adding it manually?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

For clarification, I can add the nightjet ride to my pass, which says reservation is mandatory. But looking from other train ticket providers (SBB, OBB, DB), I see that there are separate tickets and ride codes for nightjet & IC although practically it’s the same train. I of course wouldn’t like to get in trouble for having nightjet in my pass, but sitting in the IC coach and not having a reservation :sweat_smile:

What do you mean by adding it manually?

Oh I wouldn’t worry about that. 

Just add the NJ in your pass. Don’t think that conductors will be so strict about this… 

adding manually: if a train is not shown in the app you should be able to add it manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tr4veller 

You can add journey´s manually if you scroll down in the app ;) (in my experience a blue button)
You can travel in the IC coaches without reservations but as till Basel there are only 2 coaches  i recommend to reserve :)

From Basel additional seated Coaches of DB will be attached as the Nightjet/NightIC Replaces in Germany a former Night ICE and because of that more seats are needed :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What's available in the rail planner app is not significant for where your pass is valid. The app has never been complete. However, the data for this IC part of the night train should be available. @Nanja, shouldn't the reservation-optional IC attached to the night train Amsterdam - Zürich also be available in the app? It is currently missing (checked in app version 21.3.0).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi rvdborgt, will look into it and get back to you on that. Cheers,