Solved

Reservation compartment on night train Helsinki- Rovaniemi

• 11 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, we want to take the night train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi for which a reservation is required. When I choose the connection on interrail.eu there’s only one possibility (“IRT 2 class” for 24€). I suppose that this is the price for a normal seat. However we prefer to have our own compartment. I had a look at the VR website. There you can choose such a cabin for 179€. Unfortunately we haven’t found a way that  “interrail” is taken into account. That’s why I have these questions:

1. Is there a way to book a reservation for a cabin on interrail.eu?
  2. Is there a way to get the cabin cheaper with the “interrail-code” on the VR website? Or do we have to pay the full price without using our Interrail Pass?

Greetings from Germany

Hagen & Nadine 

icon

Best answer by Nadine 12 July 2021, 14:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi

you can reserve at a International Ticketdesk or a well experienced travelagency :)

As you are from Germany i recommend “DB Reisezentrum” they can but often have problems to find the option so it depends from person to person if they manage it or not.

I used back in 2019 one of the experienced Travelagencies :) https://www.die-bahnprofis.de/ i have good experience with Kopfbahnhof & Bahnagentur Schöneberg from Berlin and with Gleisnost from Freiburg (several railtrips across Europe)  :) they may charge a service fee.

Another option is to call VR (Railcompany of Finland) and collect your reservations at a local ticket office :)

Here a page with the reservation fares you can expect.

Thank you so much for your quick answer. I contacted VR on Facebook. They said that you can’t get a discount on sleeping cabins - different than in Sweden where we’ve already been to - and that you have to call VR if you want to book a ticket with interrail or a sleeping cabin. Well that’s not true at all - I have just booked the cabin on their website. But it’s okay. Seems like we have to stay longer in Norway in order to use the time gained :-)

Greetings

Nadine 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so much for your quick answer. I contacted VR on Facebook. They said that you can’t get a discount on sleeping cabins - different than in Sweden where we’ve already been to - and that you have to call VR if you want to book a ticket with interrail or a sleeping cabin. 

We used a VR sleeper 2 years ago and used Interrail for that. I booked the reservation via a Deutsche Bahn travel agent. It was a sleeper compartment for 3 people (with 2 friends 🙂. Maybe you can't book a sleeper compartment for single use with an Interrail pass but in any case the reply from VR sounds incomplete to say the least.