Skip to main content
Solved

reservation in germany

• 22 July 2024
  • 7 replies

hello, we are leaving in August and are going to cross Germany. I will have to book the train between Hamburg and Copenhagen on August 19. Is it normal that the reservation fees are 3 euros on OBB and 5.20 euros on bahn.fr? Do you think we can take the risk of making these reservations at the station a few days in advance? Do I have to print the reservations or can the control be done on the smartphone? I read a lot that German trains are always late, if you miss a reserved train, what happens? because on August 19 we leave from Berlin Hamburg (non-reservable) then Hamburg Copenhagen. we will also do Copenhagen Amsterdam on August 25th..so passing through Germany. I ask a lot of questions because this is the first time we will travel by interrail. THANKS

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The reservation fees are correct, but for 5,20 you can get reservations from Berlin to Copenhagen. You can adjust the transfer time in Hamburg in the DB Navigator app if the proposed time is too short. Hamburg-Copenhagen will most likely be fully booked so you should make the reservation well in advance. 

if I understand correctly if I make the reservation via db navigator my reservation on the Hamburg Berlin train can be postponed in the event of a delay on my Berlin Hamburg train?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The reservations won't be postponed but DB staff could issue new ones free of charge (they'll rather let you hop on the following EC without reservation).

Better avoid that situation in the first place: plan enough margin. 45 min should be fine.

I am in the process of booking the Berlin Copenhagen train for August 20 on db navigator.  there are 2 trains. I am charged 10.40 euros for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (I think it is free for teenagers). on the 1st train I can choose the seats, on the other hand on the 2nd train Hamburg Copenhagen there is an error message "An error has occurredUnfortunately, the graphical seat display is not available for this train. Please continue your booking without selecting a seat from the graphical seat display.".Are we still going to have numbered seats? Is it normal that we only pay 10.40 euros for 2 different trains? I am afraid that they will only charge us for 1 train as the second has a reservation problem..and above all that we will find ourselves without reservation for Hamburg Copenhagen..thank you for your advice

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

What does the reservation that succeeded say? If it only states the reservation Berlin-Hamburg,you didn’t manage to reserve seats on the Hamburg CPH one.

Try here for the Hamburg-CPH train: https://travel.b-europe.com/dsb-rail/dk/reservation-only#TravelWish

I think it's good like this? it's just that we can't choose a seat in Hamburg Copenhagen. I prefer to book Berlin Hamburg even if it is not obligatory, so if Berlin Hamburg is late (only 43 minutes of transit and often delays) I could more easily negotiate with the Deutsche Bahn to take the next one. and it’s the same price!thanks for your advices
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes that will work.

Good idea to book Berlin - Hamburg as the ICE could be busy too. :)