Solved

Reservation Narbonne - Barcelona. How to avoid a reservation?

• 21 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi, I‘m currently in Carcasonne.
As my next step I want to go to Barcelona, which is possible via a train from Narbonne. Problem is, the reservation for it costs 34€.

My question is if it possible to get in the train without a reservation, it‘s a Tgv and it would be no problem for me to not have a seat during the ride.
So if i show them just my interrail app with this trip, would this be enough, or do you HAVE to pay for the reservation.

Thanks for the answer :)

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 March 2022, 17:56

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You have to pay the reservation if you want to use this train. Not having a reservation is a bad idea. You could be kicked off the train, made to pay a full fare ticket or pay a hefty surcharge.

There are also reservation-free options via Cerbère / Portbou but these take more time.

Okay thanks, so I‘ve checked, I could drive to Port-Bou for free. But then, no free routes to Barcelona can be seen in the Interrail-App. But on the spanish Renfe-App it shows that there are regional trains driving. But it says I can‘t book them online.

So should I just add the departure and arrival time of the regional train I want manually to my Interrail-App? Is that enough?
Or do I have to pursue the train ticket at the Trainstation in Port-Bou?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Just add the trains manually the trains from Portbou to Barcelona doesn´t need any reservation :)

Okay alright I will do that thanks.

But why are the regional trains in Spain not shown in the Interrail-App?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Okay alright I will do that thanks.

But why are the regional trains in Spain not shown in the Interrail-App?

Because RENFE is the best railway carrier for Interrailers in the world. 

They do not send the timetable to the European timetable center, where the Railplanner app gets the timetables. 

😞😞 but atleast Interrailers can still use their regional trains by adding them right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

right

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The region publishes a PDF timetable of Cerbère/Portbou - Barcelona here. It seems to be complete: it also includes the MD trains and the SNCF trains that run between Cerbère and Portbou.

All of these trains can be used. For the MD trains, you'll need a reservation (4€), which you can get from the ticket office in Portbou.