Solved

Reservation on EN 345 from Odense to Hamburg

• 2 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I am planning my summer holiday 2024. I am buying an interrail ticket and will travel from Horsens in Denmark to Pau in the south of France. The date has not been set yet, but it might be 22/7-2024.

I have used German bahn.de to plan the journey. As a part of the journey it suggests that I take SJ's EN 345 from Odense at 01.46 to Hamburg at 06.00.

This journey requires a reservation, which is not yet on sale. And Deutche Bahn does not sell tickets for SJ's trains at all.

But to check the possibility of buying a seat ticket for EN345, I have searched SJ.se on a random date in the near future. But I am told that the departure is sold out. This apparently applies to all scheduled departures from 3/2-24 to 9/4-2024.

Instead, I tried to search for the departure from Copenhagen Airport at 00.10 (or an earlier station in Sweden) to Hamburg at 06.00. Here it is possible to buy a ticket. But I would prefer to avoid traveling all the way from from Horsens (In Jutland) to Copenhagen and then back in the opposite direction. 

Does this mean that EN 345 does not stop in Odense so that you can get on? The Bahn.de itinerary says that the train only stops in Odense to enter the train, on exit.

Alternatively, I can travel with DSB's EC 1195, which runs from Odense at 1.24 to Hamburg at 06.27. But this train only has seats = no sleep.

I have tried to ask SJ about this, but haven’t got an answer yet.

Another question: I have see a few reviews of this night train (as EN 346 in the opposite direction). Some of these reviews mentioned that the journey had severe delays. But it seems like the reviews was made when this route was new. Is delays still an issue on EN 345? Will a stopover in Hamburg for 1hour and 23 minutes be enough? (My next planned train is ICE 595 at 07:23 to Mannheim)

Palle Dam

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 2 February 2024, 20:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations for the SJ EN are only on sale until the 8th of April so far. Reservations from 9th of April will be on sale from mid February. However I don't think that you can travel with the SJ EN from Odense. SJ don't sell any tickets for that route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

However I don't think that you can travel with the SJ EN from Odense. SJ don't sell any tickets for that route.

I'd also think that. SJ don't show prices for journeys for Stockholm to Odense either, so it's a bit strange that they even have Odense in the public timetable.