Reservations from Kolding (DK) to Vaduz (LI)

Show first post

46 replies

Badge +2

Thank you all for all your replies and help. I will try with Sargans.

My last experience with trains was in like 2004. 

So I have additional questions to you.

1. If I will be traveling on 1 day to Vaduz and then one week later back home to Kolding is it a good idea to buy interrail pass?
  2. Or maybe just single tickets for these 2 days?
  3. What is the best website to find the best train connections in Eu?
  4. I was looking on eurail map on interrail.eu. On that map one can choose cities in particular countries, e.g, in the Schweiz is only Bern. Does it mean , that with interrail pass one can only travel to or from Bern in Schweiz? I got very confused looking at this map

Regards Jack

Badge +2

4. The map is very bad, and only depicts very few, very cliché destinations. Interrail validity should be seen per company. Check:  https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies to know which companies are included. De facto 95% of all European trains ( of which some require seat reservations, but not on the route you'll be taking. Seat reservations are optional on IC and ICE. The rest of your trains doesn't even require reservations ) 

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. it is very useful. 

1. Just to be sure that I understood correctly. It means that I should ignore the map and actually I can use the passes on all train stations serviced by the th companies from your link? 
  2. So if I buy a 7 days pass I can travel so many times during this period as I want? e.g. around Liechtenstein?
  3. If the train does not require seat reservation, is it still worth doing it,  are train nowadays generally full and it is hard to find a seat without reservation?      regards Jack
Badge +2

If you give your travel details, (route, departure date and time) you will get advice here.

Hi, thanks you for your answer. What do u mean here? By asking you or should there be a kind of link under here? cheers Jack

Badge +2

Hi again,

I was just looking at different panoramic trains in Schweiz. Do you if they are included in these passes?

regards

Jack

Badge +2

Hi again,

thank you very much, you are unbelievable, never been on a website, where one person can get so much help and so fast.

I just check on deutschebahn and on dsb.dk ( danish trains ) for the trip from Kolding to Sargans and for the exact same trains for 4 of us, the different between these 2 websites can be like 150 euro ( return ). But for me the biggest chock was, that the same route just 2 hours later or earlier can be much more cheaper or expensive ( like almost 500 euro ). Do you know how is it possible or maybe I make some mistake in search engine?

When I know the dates I will write to you asking for help finding the best option.

Just one more questions, are there still trains with berths, like a night trains? If yes, how to find out if the train has berths or not? We have one child , who only is 5 and can get bored over so long trip.

Cheers

jack

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes there are, e.g. from Hamburg to Zurich would be interesting for you.

or Hamburg to Innsbruck :D and then a nice ride across the Arlberg :D

Badge +2

For the Bernina Express you can even ride with the same train as there always are reservation free coaches (right behind the engine if I remember correctly).

Thanks again,

but how to find out which of these swiss expresses are covered by the interrail passes and which are not? So the free coaches are on every scheduled bernina express? What is then the different between free coaches and those requiring extra tickets? cheers

Badge +2

Just one more questions, are there still trains with berths, like a night trains? If yes, how to find out if the train has berths or not? We have one child , who only is 5 and can get bored over so long trip.

Yes there are, e.g. from Hamburg to Zurich would be interesting for you.

As I said in previous mail I was looking for train on different times on DB and DSB but how to find out if the trains offers berths? 

Badge +2

the train has the name Nightjet.

Hi again , I tried again on db.de kolding-feldkirch and kolding - sargans on diffenrent dates in january and february and on different hours and got may results but no nightjet,

How to find these nightjet?

cheers Jack

Badge +2

the train has the name Nightjet.

Hi again , I tried again on db.de kolding-feldkirch and kolding - sargans on diffenrent dates in january and february and on different hours and got may results but no nightjet,

How to find these nightjet?

cheers Jack

or generally the how to find Couchette end sleeper ?

Badge +2

I suggest you check trains between Kolding and Hamburg. Then there is a night train between Hamburg and Zürich. In Zürich you take another train to Sargans.

I will try that. 

But generally on DB how to find out if the trains has like compartments with places to lie down? 

Badge +2

I suggest you check trains between Kolding and Hamburg. Then there is a night train between Hamburg and Zürich. In Zürich you take another train to Sargans.

I will try that. 

But generally on DB how to find out if the trains has like compartments with places to lie down? 

I found something like that 

https://www.international-bahn.de/de/upsale/1448678207?token=1ca24cb2e717577dc7dbc789

but i am not sure if the price of 199 euro for 4 person includes the berths? or first the price of 544 includes the berths? My understanding is that “Privatabteil Liegewagen” should include berths, but if so, then why so big price different?

I will try that. 

I found something like that 

https://www.international-bahn.de/de/upsale/1448678207?token=1ca24cb2e717577dc7dbc789

but i am not sure if the price of 199 euro for 4 person includes the berths? or first the price of 544 includes the berths? My understanding is that “Privatabteil Liegewagen” should include berths, but if so, then why so big price different?

This is the price for a private couchette compartment for up to three adults (you may add kids for free). 

But this is the price for a ticket and a reservation. So you won't need a railpass if you'd book this offer (at least for this part of your journey).

By the way, there's no difference if you'd book this offer with DB (which is possible even for couchette and sleeper) or ÖBB directly - you'll get the same tickets. In fact, even the DB booking is an ÖBB booking...

Badge +2

Thank you all for your answers.

1. I got confused, I will later try to book on obb and compare with db.
    i am not familiar with  the professional vocabulary. Private couchette compartment does it mean that the 4 of us will be the only passenger in this Abteil ( do not know the english name ) or we can still get extra 2 person and will there be 4 or 6 berths / beds in such a Abteil?
  2. What is different between Privatabteil Liegewagen for 199 eu and Liegeplatz im Abteil mit 6 Liegen for 554 eu? For me it seems the same
  3. Where can I see how these Abteilen look like?
  4. Regarding interrail passes. Is the price always the same in particular year or maybe sometimes one can get it maybe cheaper on special?
Badge +2

thank you Hector,

1. I am aware that I do not need the pass in case I buy these tickets. I was just asking for the pass maybe for the summer holiday. 
  2. But if I would have the pass, then I would still have to pay the 199 for the private compartment or another amount?
  3. The special offers were much better then the regular? Are there any particular times of the year when they make the special offers?
  4. What is the different between private compartment in 1 and 2 class?
Badge +2

And one more. what is the different between interrail and eurail?

Badge +2

Thank you for ur answers rvdborgt.

But i think there was some misunderstanding, I just did not formulate the questions clear enough.

1. But if I would have the pass, then I would still have to pay the 199 for the private compartment or another amount? What I meant was interrail pass, If I had it , would I have to pay these 199 for private compartment or maybe another amount. You answered ...There is no pass fare for a private compartment on a Nightjet…. To be honest I do not understand ur answer.
  2. I meant here special offers for the interrail passes mentioned by Hector. What are prices for these passes when they are on special offers? And how often are these passes on special?
Badge +2

Ok , I will subscribe now.

So if I had the interrail pass valid for the day of travel with the nightjet, I would still have to pay the reservation for the private compartment? 199 euro?

Badge +2

it means there is no specific pass reservation for a private couchette compartment. You can only buy a normal ticket with reservation.

Hmm… I am not sure I understood it. So if I had the interrail pass valid for the day of travel with the nightjet, I would still have to pay the reservation for the private compartment? 199 euro? or not?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

it means there is no specific pass reservation for a private couchette compartment. You can only buy a normal ticket with reservation.

Hmm… I am not sure I understood it. So if I had the interrail pass valid for the day of travel with the nightjet, I would still have to pay the reservation for the private compartment? 199 euro?

That is correct, for the private couchette compartment. For sleeper compartments, it works differently.

Badge +2

For sleeper compartments, it works differently.

how does it work for sleeper compartments? what is the different between them?