Solved

Reservations not possible? Traveling to Germany and Czech Republic

Hello everyone,

I've bought an Interrail Global Pass for 3 July - 10 July. I want to travel from Amsterdam to Prague and later from Prague to Munich, and from Munich back to Amsterdam.

However, there is one thing i don't understand. The website of the Deutsche Bahn says a reservation is required for every high speed rail as well as night trains. The travel plan of the Interrail website tells me i do not need to book a reservation, but that it is possible to do so.

However, i cannot add any train journey to the cart. The ‘add to cart’ button is not clickable:

Am i too late for booking? I have not received my pass yet, but i will get it within two weeks.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards

icon

Best answer by Angelo 2 May 2022, 20:30

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This train is a regional train and reservations should be not possible at all. But maybe possible via Czech Railways cd.cz

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you want you can book the trip from Amsterdam to Prague  and from Prague to Munich at the Czech Railway. That is the cheapest place to buy reservations at.

https://www.cd.cz/en/spojeni-a-jizdenka/#hledej

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you want you can book the trip from Amsterdam to Prague  and from Prague to Munich at the Czech Railway. That is the cheapest place to buy reservations at.

https://www.cd.cz/en/spojeni-a-jizdenka/#hledej

In this case the cheapest way is via German railways bahn.com because you pay for multiple trains reservation in a day 4€/person and not for every train extra. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The website of the Deutsche Bahn says a reservation is required for every high speed rail as well as night trains.

I doubt it does. Reservation in Germany and Czechia is optional with very few exceptions.

Thank you all for your replies! I just want to make sure i can travel once i receive my Pass, and do not need to arrange anything extra - so that my Interrail Global Pass is sufficient. However, it's a bit difficult with all the different railway companies and the conflicting information. I will try a reservation at Deutsche Bahn now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

THIS train you canNOT reserve. Its an ALEX, which in Plzen HN will be coupled to more Cz cars to run onward do Prahy. Expect delays-they are working on the rails just south of Smichovske nadrazi (as I passed there last week).

IN DE you canNOT use FLIXtrain (the green low-cost ones) and REServ as such is always optional, except at the NightJet-then do via oebb.at. But it may be advisable for some busy times in those flashy white ICE. Trains labelled R or RB or RE (R=regional) can never be reserved (except to be deutsch überpünktlich-a few ¨Stammgast´ seats for season holders)