Solved

Seat reservation for couple

• 4 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi fellows Travellers !

My girlfriend and I plan to visit germany with the france germany rail pass ! We already plan our trip with some mandatory seat reservations, but 2 of our trains didn't required any reservations. We wanted to know if we should still pay an extra for reservations for the trains if we want to travel next to each other , or the day of our travel, at presentation of our pass, we will be seated asides ?

Thanks for your return ! And if you used rail planner as group / couple and if you had any issues or not with seats having your advises / tips would be great :)

Have a good day and good travel :)

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 4 August 2023, 22:37

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hard to say without knowing the usual details: route, date, departure time.

In addition, on bahn.com and the DB Navigator app, you can see how busy DB expect trains to be. 

In any case, don't buy reservations for Germany via Interrail because that's too expensive (€8 per train). tickets.oebb.at sells them for €3 per train and bahn.com and the DB Navigator app sell them for €4.90 per journey (including all bookable trains in that journey).

Thanks ! 

So yeah we go from paris to Strasbourg in TGV with reserved seats already , then Strasbourg to Offenbourg in a TER (no seats) and for finish Offenbourg to heidelberg in a german IC ( no seats) train and for finish Heidelberg to Berlin in an ICE (no seats) train.

The most important one is Heidelberg to Berlín as its a 7h trip.

And the return is Berlin- Erfurt in an ICE , Erfurt-Frankfurt in an ICE and Frankfurt-Paris in a TGV with reserved seats.

So you advise us to book the german trains directly on DB navigator ? Do you need to fill your pass number anywhere on the website or create an account ?

Thanks for the help :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So you advise us to book the german trains directly on DB navigator ? Do you need to fill your pass number anywhere on the website or create an account ?

If you book just one train, it's cheaper on tickets.oebb.at (or the ÖBB Tickets app). You can use "Seat reservation only”. On the website, no account is needed. In the app I think you need an account to book.

If you want to book 2 or more trains in 1 journey, then it's cheaper on bahn.com or the DB Navigator app: €4.90. On bahn.com, you just choose "Seat only” on the search page. No account needed, no pass number to fill in. In the app, I think you need an account to book and there you'll find the "Seat only” option below the regular prices. DB also offer seat selection from a map for most trains.

Thanks !

Sadly didn’t find the option to book several trains at once , but the price stay low for the travel ! And at least i will have peace in my mind during this first train trip !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sadly didn’t find the option to book several trains at once , but the price stay low for the travel ! And at least i will have peace in my mind during this first train trip !

On bahn.com, just search your journey using "Seat only”. If there are multiple trains in that journey for which you can book reservations, then it will offer you to book them all for the same price as one train.