Solved

Seat reservations at stations?

• 24 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone, 

Just a week until I start my interrailing trip on the Mediterranean route. 

I have been trying to do some seat reservations ahead of time. My main question was just if anyone can explain the process of booking at train stations? 

just wanted to make sure it was relatively straight forward, as I’ve not be able to find any information about it on here. 

thanks

Lucy

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 24 August 2022, 15:09

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My main question was just if anyone can explain the process of booking at train stations?

You go to the ticket office and you request a reservation for your Interrail. Best to have the exact train details ready (route, date, departure time) and maybe a plan B in case it is fully booked.

For French domestic trains, you can also buy reservations from the SNCF ticket machine. You can enter Interrail as a discount there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In FR on SNCF ONLY TGV and IC have mandatory RES-not any train labelled as RER. These include the about 2-hourly and old/partly vandalised trains Marseille-Nice. (soon to be replaced).

In Italy all treni labelled as IC and Frecce (=arrow) have Mandatory RES-locals, R/egionale or IR cannot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In FR on SNCF ONLY TGV and IC have mandatory RES-not any train labelled as RER. These include the about 2-hourly and old/partly vandalised trains Marseille-Nice. (soon to be replaced).

RER run in and around Paris and Interrail is not valid. And there are now TER trains with mandatory reservations (Paris - Normandy).