Solved

seat reservations in italy

I am on the 11.20am EC 52 from Milan to Frankfurt today I did not make a seat reservation and sat in a seat that stated it was available 

The train conductor ( who was very rude) has just charged me €23 euros saying I had to pay this or else I would be thrown off the train at the next station!

I am a 54 year old interailer ( teacher ) in first class and I think this is just a money making exercise by Trentalia

First class on this train is also very poor compared to other countries trains.

Is this correct that this payment is mandatory?

In my opinion the cost of seat reservations spoils the whole Interail experience as it increases the cost massively 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 9 August 2023, 14:02

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Long distance trains in Italy have compulsory reservations.

For the Eurocity Switzerland-Italy only on the italian side. In Switzerland and Germany only optional.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the reservation is mandatory on high-speed trains in Italy : IC, EC, Frecciarossas. Didn't you see the info when you added the train to your pass ?

From Domodossola (border point) reservation is optional.

If you don't have a reservation, you are treated as travelling without a valid ticket : you can get thrown off at the next stop and/or get a big fine (100-300€). The 23€ he made you pay is reasonable

I don’t think it is reasonable at all, I think it’s a money making rip off.Mandatory in what way? Italian Government law  Illegal or Trenitalia rules? 

Really puts me off travelling with Trenitalia again, and the train was very poorly maintained and not first class standard( despite it saying it was first class) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A seat reservation is needed for all types of ticket-holders (so all other tickets other than Interrail too) in Italy, whatever they’re ticket on international trains, high speed trains or night trains. Intercity trains too, but much less (only 3 EUR I think).

And yes, it’s kinda of an annoying extra cost, but much better than not being allowed to take those trains what so ever.

Get your seat reservations for those trains in Italy via this way, or at the ticket office in stations, usually good availability last minute, as trains are quite frequent:

https://community.eurail.com/train%2Dconnections%2Dreservations%2D47/how%2Dto%2Dget%2Dreservations%2D105?postid=9551#post9551

Thanks, 3 euros is fine  , I can understand that , but 23 euros is disgraceful.

Thanks for the link , appreciated, but I have decided to keep away from Italy and their rip off train reservations and go elsewhere 

I will be warning friends and family about this situation on Italian trains as well , as some of them of thinking of interailing now we are at retirement age 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I will be warning friends and family about this situation on Italian trains as well , as some of them of thinking of interailing now we are at retirement age 

What you need to tell your friends is to make sure that they have seat reservations if seat reservations are mandatory. There is no need to warn them. As long as you have the necessary reservations everything will be good.

It is your responsibility as a traveller to check if reservations are mandatory. Boarding a train with mandatory reservation without having a reservation is like travelling without a ticket and you can get a serious fine and/or get kicked out of the train.

It is not the same as travelling without a ticket , I  bought a ticket and of course I understand the need to make a seat reservation especially during the summer .It is the cost of the reservation that is appalling, it is far too high for something that can be done online and cost barely anything.It is simply Trenitalia making more money from train travellers.If you are low waged how are you supposed to pay those extortionate  prices?  €13 for a second class seat reservation is out of reach for lots of people .

i will of course be telling friends and family that they would be better  off hiring a car if they have to go to Italy than have to pay those scandalous prices 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Please note that seat reservations are not only required in Italy but also in (not exhaustive) :

- Spain : 6-10€

- France : 10-20€

- Thalys : 27-32€ (+ passholder quota)

- Eurostar : 30-35€ (+ passholder quota)

- international TGVs : 29-35€

- ICE/TGVs between Germany and France : 17€

It is an additional cost to keep in mind when you buy your pass. It also limits flexibility as some need to be bought well in advance.

That's a reason why some countries are better than others for train journeys or Interrail trips : Germany, Switzerland, the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands,…

If you are going back to the UK via Eurostar, please book your seat reservation in advance since trains do sell out.

Ok but how many are ‘mandatory’ as they are in Italy?

If I sat in a seat that says available , as I have on other countries on this trip , Netherlands , Germany, France , I have not  had to pay a reservation fee of €13-€23 euros as I have had to pay in Italy, the conductors have just let me sit there.

It is Trenitalia who is the problem , and their rip off prices.I won’t be using them again and I would advise others not to either 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I've only added mandatory ones ("required"). If you travelled on fast/high-speed trains requiring seat reservations without one, then you got very lucky but you could have gotten multiple fines. I would not advise to do that. Or maybe you only took reservation-free slower regional trains.

Reservations are optional in Germany and the Netherlands but mandatory in France on TGVs and Intercités.

Trenitalia is not the problem and they run much more trains than RENFE (Spain) or SNCF (France) so it is easy to find a last-minute seat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

For the reservation for the eurocity the price is 13€, but on board of the train you paid an adittional fee or fine so you paid 23€.

For example I have just booked a ‘mandatory ‘ reservation from Lyon to Toulouse for 5 days time .I’ve had to pay £20 to make a reservation. It’s really shocking and just money grabbing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Well, the trains don’t run for free and if they don’t sell the place to an Interrailer, then they could make much more revenue during summer… for example for Lyon to Tolouse you’d pay definitely much more if you buy single tickets than 20 pounds.
And the 23 euro you paid in Italy is so “high” because you didn’t follow the instructions in the app, where it is highlighted that you NEED a reservation for this train, otherwise would have been 13 euro.

If you are on a tight budget, then you could have taken regional trains until the first stop in Switzerland (or Domodossola) and then take it without a reservation.