Solved

Seat reservations linked to pass?

• 20 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 17 replies

My friends and I booked 4 second class passes. We wanted to travel through Italy, so we had to reserve seats for those trains in Italy. We decided to do this via Interail. However, they sent us reservations for first class.

So now we want to cancel the second class passes and book 4 first class passes, because there are no second class seats available on any other website. Our question is: can we still use the first class seat reservations we received with our new, first class passes, or are those reservations linked to our second class passes, because we booked those seats via our second class passes on Interrail?

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 12 July 2022, 14:46

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Interrail books Italian trains via Trenitalia. Normally, Trenitalia prints the pass number on the reservations. the pass number of a mobile pass is an alphanumeric code with 6 characters (see your confirmation mail). Do you see it on your reservations?

Badge

Yes, on the reservations it does show this code. 

Badge

But I guess you are not allowed to sit in first class with a second class pass, because you got first class reservations from Interrail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But I guess you are not allowed to sit in first class with a second class pass, because you got first class reservations from Interrail.

Yes, that's correct. In fact, Interrail should change your reservations for correct ones free of charge, since this is an issuing error on their part.

Badge

Yes, but I hope they will do this before Saturday because then I am leaving. Is there a possibility to change this pass number on the reservation to another number via Interrail or TrenItalia, or otherwise change the same pass to a first class one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Don't know about the changing the number on a reservation. How exchanging a pass works, is explained on this page.

Badge

If you exchange the pass to a first class one, do you keep the number of the old pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you exchange the pass to a first class one, do you keep the number of the old pass?

No, since you buy a new pass, with a new pass number.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This might be useful to know for future travels. The reservations were likely booked in first class due to a systems communication error between our booking system and Trenitalia's. In this case you can email our customer service team to request a change in seat assignment. If that's not possible, you should be able to request a class change at the train station's ticketing office. You will not be able to travel in first class with the incorrectly issued tickets.