Solved

Seat reservations Prague - Budapest - Zurich say ''not available''

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this so please forgive me if I’m missing something.  I’m planning a trip in late september through middle of October.  I’ve bought the euraill global 1st class pass.  So, am now trying to book seat reservations and every single long trip (eg prague-budapest.  Budapest to Zurich) says seat not available...I’ve looked at the eurail and the obb sites and both say this.  Am I trying to book these tickets too early (I’m hoping this is the case!) or is it normal for these seats to be sold out 5 months out?  Thanks so much for your help….

icon

Best answer by menumaster 22 May 2022, 16:38

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For the most trains you are looking to early and the question is for which trains are you looking? Nighttrains or daytrains? Nighttrains are possible up to 6 months in advance but often just 60days in advance. Daytrains it´s usually 90 or 60days in advance.

Prague - Budapest can be reserved directly on cd.cz
Budapest - Zürich via oebb.at (here take notice of the 2 different manuals for daytrains and Nighttrains)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Way too ealry-untill very recent 2 month advance was the norm. PLus that smart travellers know many ways to avoid the costly REServ-though this may not apply if you go 1st.

BUT; profile says youre from UK-and EUrail is NOT for Europeans (common brit failure: it has really nothing to do with EU-so Brexit did not change a thing in this. You´d better get this rectified asap. Unless you mistakenly took this for USA-or have a passpt from out of Europe. EURopeans can only do 1 trip OUT and at end 1 trip back IN in home country-that has to be stated. For rather fairly obvious reasons.The pass is INTERrail.

Thanks for the replies….so, for example.  I want to book a night train on October 8th from Budapest to Zurich.  The train is the 20:55 arriving Zurich 08:20 on the 9th.  On eurail and OEBB both say ticket unavailable….??

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for the replies….so, for example.  I want to book a night train on October 8th from Budapest to Zurich.  The train is the 20:55 arriving Zurich 08:20 on the 9th.  On eurail and OEBB both say ticket unavailable….??

You can already reserve this train on oebb.at  please follow the instruction in this post (don´t use the seat only option for Nighttrains :) )

Thank you!...so confusing as it seems logical to press the “seat reservation only” button, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thank you!...so confusing as it seems logical to press the “seat reservation only” button, 

Yeah because of that we created the post with the manuals :)