Solved

Seat reservations sent back to the post office

• 30 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

As requested by eurail.com, I supplied my accomodation address when buying seat reservations for 6 of us to ride from Paris to Barcelona on 1/10/22.   The accomodation office wasn’t open when they delivered the mail so now it’s sitting back at the post office (the accomodation told me they missed it)   I’m still in Australia so obviously can’t collect.  Will it sit there safely until I arrive in Paris on 29th September?  That will mean it’s there for over one month.   Thanks in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 2 September 2022, 09:54

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

UNlikely, but the only one who can-but will not-answer this is the ´Postes Francaise´. IN the distant past, when mail was the usual way to send things over, there were all kinds of special arrangements, but most of that has vanished-together with delivery of mail in general. IF it was sent ´registered mail´ then it SHOULD be offered another time to see if there is someone around then-and if again not-sent back to original adress.

Its likely best to ask this accomodation to see if they can contact them and ask/arrange it. In general this is not a thing that the FRench like to do. And if its some hoStel-very likely the staff is not even french, but working foreigners without any knowledge about these things.

IF you had take just the 2-3 mins to read this forum beforehand and the advice on howtoarrange this online/fone and also save money-a lot-by using local trains, you could have avoided all this mess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Normally the reservations will be sent back to the sender if noone collects them at the post office within a week or two.

The person from the accomodation whose name you put on the reservation has to collect the reservations at the post office.  

Sending reservations to another address than your own is always risky. You are not the first person getting into trouble because of this. 

Badge +1

Thanks for your replies.  Eurail.com seems like a good legitimate business so when they asked to send the tickets to my accomodation I assumed that this is something that is common place in Europe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Claudi. Can you please give advice here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The best is to check with the delivery service how long they will keep your post at the post office.

Do you have information about which service is doing the delivery? Often, it seems to be PostNL.

Badge +1

Yes it is PostNL and it says Item being held Adressee notified which I assume means that it’s gone back to the post office awaiting my collection. Do you think it will still be there just prior to the 1/10?  I can pick it up myself when I arrive in Paris.  Thank you :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

At least in Sweden items are being held at the post office between 7 and 14 days before they are sent back to the sender. 

Only the French post can answer what the rule in France is. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes it is PostNL and it says Item being held Adressee notified which I assume means that it’s gone back to the post office awaiting my collection. Do you think it will still be there just prior to the 1/10?  I can pick it up myself when I arrive in Paris.

You need to check with PostNL where the item is being held and until when. Maybe it's at the post office but it could also be elsewhere.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yes it is PostNL and it says Item being held Adressee notified which I assume means that it’s gone back to the post office awaiting my collection. Do you think it will still be there just prior to the 1/10?  I can pick it up myself when I arrive in Paris.  Thank you :)

In my experience, paper tickets and passes are usually only kept at a postal pick up point for up to two weeks. If it's not collected by then it will be returned to us. You could reach out to either PostNL or the French La Poste (your track and trace number can be used on both services) to request if your package can be held longer, but I'm unsure whether this is actually possible. If this doesn't work, then please reach out to our customer service team so that we can try to re-ship this asap.