Solved

Selecting specific seats in France +

• 15 August 2022
  • 6 replies

• Right on track
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing an Inter-rail pass for an upcoming trip to Europe.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it  possible to select your seat when booking via the Inter-rail/Eurail site  - rather than have the system do this automatically?

I suspect it may well depend on the country? The specific train I am interested in is the Paris  - Hendaye TGV.

I can see on the French Railway website that there are individual seats available in first class. The question is, can I chose these seats when booking via the interail/Eurail Website?

1. The same question as above but Re the B-Europe site

2. What is the latest you can reserve seats via the Inter-rail/Eurail site? i read on another thread somebody tried to do this the day before but they were unable to.

Any help or answers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 15 August 2022, 21:11

View original

6 replies

And sorry I have a further two questions having just read a couple of other threads.

1. Is it possible to know if there are still passholder tickets available for a specific train before I purchase my pass? 
  2. How can I find out if my booking will be an E-ticket or a paper ticket ? (I have just seen another thread where it seems the ticket in question could only be sent by post….)

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@1+2. AFAIK not-except the usual aisle/window. 

Maybe-perhaps at a SNCF booking office. I am not very much interesetd in that-others may know more.

@3: untill all seats booked-but IN FR there is a quota for cheaper RES-if that is taken (it is very small and I suspect it is 0 in very populair trains), then its 20€. BUT app cannot handle that-for those you have to use other ways to RES.

For OVERborder it is far more difficult.

@4.for some trains-the SNCF TGV and €* mostly quite easily via b-europe, which you seem to know.

But about all passholder-smaller quota are for SNCF trains (€* is in fact also owned by SNCF)

Next major hurdle for complaints is ESpana/RENFE: you will only know when there as you have to visit counter anyway to do

@5: daft easy-do NOT use via app-but via the ALT ways listed in the seewulf overveiw-cheaper too.

anna fra sverige links to that in all her welcoming answers

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@3: untill all seats booked-but IN FR there is a quota for cheaper RES-if that is taken (it is very small and I suspect it is 0 in very populair trains), then its 20€. BUT app cannot handle that-for those you have to use other ways to RES.

As a regular contributor, I'd expect you to know that:

1. The app can't book reservations.
  2. The Interrail website has been able to book domestic French 20€ reservations for some time now.

Thank you for taking the time to respond mcadv.

This is very helpful.

Re Spain, I think I read that pass holder seats do not  sell out, until the train sells out.

As such I’ve been checking availability on the Spanish websites - and all seems fine.

Can anyone confirm whether this info is correct re Spain?

Seems the easy days of 20-30 years ago are long gone! If it is all do much of a faff (which is seems it may be) - I may  scrap the inter-rail idea and go with individual fares - and begrudgingly cough up the extra wonga.

Cheers again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Re Spain, I think I read that pass holder seats do not  sell out, until the train sells out.

That is correct for domestic Spanish trains. However, pass holder seats in the international TGV/AVEs between France and Spain do sell out well before the train is full.

Thanks both. Thats good to know.