Solved

SNCF paper reservation - will it arrive in time?

• 1 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello! I'm interrailing with my wife in two weeks, we want to go from Paris to Barcelona - the connection requires a seat reservation. As I understand SNCF only offers paper reservations sent to a passenger via traditional mail. It is possible for us to be sent our reservations to an adress we're staying at in Paris. Unfortunately a booking system states that based on Interrail calculations the letter will be late for our arrival - we are staying in Paris for 3 days, 14-16 September - so two weeks from now. We don't know if we can rely on this information, since the letter should be sent within one country - from France to France. We suspect this could be some kind of a system error. Could anyone let us know if we can odrer our reservations in paper form safely? Thaks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Marcel Wandas 1 September 2022, 10:54

View original

8 replies

OK, I looked at forums and found super useful tips for it, called SNCF line, the only problem was they don’t accept any cards other than AmEx and Revolut. The lady said I have 10 days to pay for the order and I can do it online, so I am ordering Revolut right now. The reservations are collectable at the station in France. So if you have a similar problem, just order a Revolut card and collect your ticket than - that’s seems to be the easiest way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Dzienkuje, nice of you to note. This of revolut (a free type of cr-cd) is also new for ur, so it may indeed also be helpful to others.

SNCF does not send via mail-that is the way this site handles it-and thus it is not In FR only, but comes from NL.

But as the POlski generally are known to save the goldbars=zlotych: you coul have saved a bundle by only using TGV IN FR and then hop over border on FranceRegio (TER) and ESpanaRegio (RENFE-rodalies)-but that will take a little longer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

OK, I looked at forums and found super useful tips for it, called SNCF line, the only problem was they don’t accept any cards other than AmEx and Revolut. The lady said I have 10 days to pay for the order and I can do it online, so I am ordering Revolut right now. The reservations are collectable at the station in France. So if you have a similar problem, just order a Revolut card and collect your ticket than - that’s seems to be the easiest way. 

Revolut issue standard VISA Debit cards, nowhere that accepts this should have any issues accepting any other VISA (or Mastercard), personally I wouldn’t be surprised if the next phonecall you made to SNCF was met with complete ignorance of the existence of Revolut and some other random payment being quoted as all they will take. They are SNCF, being difficult with customers, particularly foreigners is just what they do, welcome to France.

Revolut issue standard VISA Debit cards, nowhere that accepts this should have any issues accepting any other VISA (or Mastercard), personally I wouldn’t be surprised if the next phonecall you made to SNCF was met with complete ignorance of the existence of Revolut and some other random payment being quoted as all they will take. They are SNCF, being difficult with customers, particularly foreigners is just what they do, welcome to France.

I’m not new to train travel through Europe, so I was prepared for some level of weirdness, but never expected to be denied payment with a regular VISA card within the EU. We’ll see how it goes with Spanish reservations - I’m planning to make an odred on the phone and ask my friend from Barcelona to collect paper tickets at the counter. Send your thoughts & prayers :)

Dzienkuje, nice of you to note. This of revolut (a free type of cr-cd) is also new for ur, so it may indeed also be helpful to others.

SNCF does not send via mail-that is the way this site handles it-and thus it is not In FR only, but comes from NL.

But as the POlski generally are known to save the goldbars=zlotych: you coul have saved a bundle by only using TGV IN FR and then hop over border on FranceRegio (TER) and ESpanaRegio (RENFE-rodalies)-but that will take a little longer.

Thanks for the tip! We need to jump from FR to ES fast and easy, but would really appreciate a possibility of saving some of our precious ZŁOTÓWECZKI in this INFLACJA times on the way back. 

Also I’m sorry: the payment with Revolut/AmEx can only be made via phone. Interesting journey to the 1950s brought to you by the magic of European rail services. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just learnt that CFL can also book the TGVs France-Germany by phone and send them via email, albeit with a 5€ booking fee.

If you pass through Germany, you can also book via DB and collect your reservation from a DB ticket machine:

The same is true for domestic Spanish reservations:

Could you please explain how can I pull this trick? I’m looking at RENFE and SNCF websites and cannot find the right connection - I guess this should be the last Spanish station to the first French one, but nothing really works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Could you please explain how can I pull this trick? I’m looking at RENFE and SNCF websites and cannot find the right connection - I guess this should be the last Spanish station to the first French one, but nothing really works. 

Paris - Barcelona avoiding the interntional TGV issues can be done by

TGV Paris - Perpignan, Montpelier or Avignon,

Regional TER from there to Cerbere or Portbou

Local Spanish train from there to Barcelona. These typically do not show on regular journey planners, current timetable is here https://rodalies.gencat.cat/web/.content/02_Horaris/horaris/R11.pdf Rodalies website https://rodalies.gencat.cat/en/inici/

Only the TGV requires reservation but beware that some serve different, more remote stations in Montpelier and Avignon.

Domestic TGV reservation https://travel.b-europe.com/eurail-ge/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish requires pass cover number