Solved

Southern Spain trainlines

• 27 April 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 12 replies

Hi,

I am planning to travel around Southern Spain next month.  

It seems quite limited or are there not many train lines in that part of Spain?

For example - To go from Malaga to Alicante, would I have to go nearly to Madrid and back down?

Please can you tell me does the Interrail map shows all possible routes or is there another map with more lines available?

Thank you 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 27 April 2023, 13:54

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Interrail map doesn't show all routes

You can use bahn.de, it's a more reliable planner (but sometimes RENFE sends incorrect data...)

You'll have to get to Ciudad Real and then Alicante. There's no railway along the whole coast although one is being built at the moment. There are great high-speed links but then as soon as you don't want to go Madrid, it's kinda problematic…

Don't worry Malaga - Ciudad Real - Alicante is still straightforward but there are not many connections

Remember that you'll have to buy seat reservations at a Spanish train station when you arrive

Badge

Thank you for your reply.

Is there a map I can find with more routes?

Looking for Jerez to Malaga?

Malaga to Valencia, would mean going via Madrid?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'm sure you can find a map on Google : railway map Spain

Use bahn.de to get an idea of all the connections, it works really well

Badge

Ok thank you.

So if there is a trainline it is covered by our Interrail pass? Obviously with some reservations 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

SBB Has a good railway infrastructure map of Europe: https://maps.trafimage.ch/ch.sbb.netzkarte?baselayers=ch.sbb.netzkarte,ch.sbb.netzkarte.dark,ch.sbb.netzkarte.luftbild.group,ch.sbb.netzkarte.landeskarte,ch.sbb.netzkarte.landeskarte.grau&display_srs=EPSG:2056&lang=en&layers=&x=-538322.83&y=4718914.17&z=7.54 Make sure you selected “network map passenger traffic”.

It won’t say anything about the frequencies or services,  but at least you’ll get a bit of insight and how the connections can look like, and what’s possible by rail.

For timetibles check Deutsche Bahn indeed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Tessie Being able to board trains/pass availability on trains isn’t based on lines but on train companies. You can take any train of RENFE (main spanish train operator, except their low cost branch, Avlo). Check the list here: https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Southern Spain has a limited number of rail lines that often need interesting changes. Malaga for example has regional lines to Seville and Ronda and a High Speed line to Cordoba. There is also a new link opened to Granada.

As posted elsewhere trains are infrequent. However I can confirm that you can enjoy several days in that region with careful planning. We did a flight to Malaga, Then the regional 4 hr journey to Seville for a couple of nights. Then High Speed to Cordoba for a couple of nights and then back on the high speed to Malaga. You probably wouldn’t use a pass for that sort of trip, but obviously if part of a more extensive trip would be cost effective.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

https://www.malagaholidays.com/guide/rail-travel.php

Badge

Thank you for your replies.

Looks like every trip in Spain needs a reservation.  On the app when you click on ‘how to book’ it only gives book via email or at train stations options.

Does anyone know if it is easy to buy reservations at the stations, will staff understand I only need a reservation and not a ticket?  Just thinking when I will be inland in smaller towns where communication may be difficult.

Are there no other options to buy reservations beforehand so I can just get on the train and guarantee a seat reservation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does anyone know if it is easy to buy reservations at the stations, will staff understand I only need a reservation and not a ticket?  Just thinking when I will be inland in smaller towns where communication may be difficult.

That shouldn't be a problem. You can also book all your reservations at the first Spanish ticket office you get to.

Are there no other options to buy reservations beforehand so I can just get on the train and guarantee a seat reservation?

Here's a list of known options: