Solved

Struggle: activate pass before having mandatory reservation

Hey, i am starting my first interrail soon and have a question bc Im afraid to do something wrong and having problems since i travel alone.

I need to activate my Pass before 10th of April, so before I forget i really wanna Do it now..but:

My first travel date is 18th of April.

I will fly to spain on 13th, stay in one city for some days, and start my travel with train then on 18th. Since i read that I can only book Reservation IN spain and Reservation is mandatory: What if I connect a train now (i need to add a train i will take right?) and when Im in spain the seats are not available anymore for this train?

I would rather activate my pass right before my travel as adviced but since my travel date is after the day where I need to activate its not possible.

Also second question, what if for any reason I can not  take the train on 18th I have chosen? Is it true I then can not use my whole pass anymore? So is this first train fixed?? 

Thank you so much for your help

Johanna

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 7 April 2023, 12:24

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If 10 April is the last day for activation you MUST activate it for that day or sooner. You may as well do it now.

All trains you add to the pass can be removed, changed, re-added as many times as you wish without any consequences. All that matters is that you have the correct train added when you board it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey, i am starting my first interrail soon and have a question bc Im afraid to do something wrong and having problems since i travel alone.

I need to activate my Pass before 10th of April, so before I forget i really wanna Do it now..but:

My first travel date is 18th of April.

I will fly to spain on 13th, stay in one city for some days, and start my travel with train then on 18th. Since i read that I can only book Reservation IN spain and Reservation is mandatory: What if I connect a train now (i need to add a train i will take right?) and when Im in spain the seats are not available anymore for this train?

I would rather activate my pass right before my travel as adviced but since my travel date is after the day where I need to activate its not possible.

Also second question, what if for any reason I can not  take the train on 18th I have chosen? Is it true I then can not use my whole pass anymore? So is this first train fixed?? 

Thank you so much for your help

Johanna

Don’t worry too much, it’ll be allright.

Activate your pass then before it expires.

But only use your travel days when you’re sure you will be travelling. So only add them to your pass a bit before your effective train trip. Still recommended to do it like that.

Reservations are completely seperate from the app. As soon as you can, head to the ticket office in the train station of the city you will be visiting and get all your reservations for your all your trains in Spain in one time. That is usually the best strategy for relatively care free travel by train in Spain. They keep selling reservations until the train is full.

I only add trains to my pass a couple of minutes before travelling. In that case you’re always have the right train. Even if they are reserved, there’s no need to add them to your pass ages in advance.

You can add, remove, adapt as many trains as you want on a travel day. If you cannot take train A, than take train B a bit later.

If you for one reason or another, miss the train, than you need to fetch another reservation for another train. But this does NOT mean that you’re whole pass is unusable. That would be weird :) Just find another train and add that one.