Solved

Supplements payable on trains going through Netherlands

• 17 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Next month, I’m planning to travel on trains from Frankfurt to Amsterdam, and then from Amsterdam to Brussels.

Both the services I wish to travel on seem to require an additional supplement to be paid - but it’s not really clear why. Can anyone help/explain?

Also, I have already made a seat reservation on the Frankfurt-Amsterdam train - would that cover the supplement in this case, or do I still need to pay the supplement separately?

icon

Best answer by MartijnV 17 August 2023, 15:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The Amsterdam - Brussels IC Direct is sometimes incorrectly listed as needing a supplement, it doesn’t.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

A supplement is required if you use the ICE for journeys inside the Netherlands, basically to reduce the demand on using those trains, as they are known to be busy. 

Again to reduce the demand on these trains, a requirement for reservation was imposed this summer: https://www.nsinternational.com/en/news/ice-summer-2023 

...however it appears that you are going to travel after this period of reservation requirement. As you have got your reservation, your are comfortable and covered.

It does not state anywhere that a supplement is required as well, and hence you are ready to go.