Solved

The details on my OBB cross-border PDF train ticket looks weird.

• 24 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I’m planning to visit Austria and Germany for the first time this April and have booked a cross-border ticket from Salzburg to Munich on April 21, but compared to another domestic ticket I booked with the same company it looks quite different. On the first page, the ticket only shows origin and destination without further details and the spelling of the names of the cities seem different than the second page which is the seat reservation confirmation page. Is this normal for this kind of ticket? I have to use them for VISA application from where I’m from, so It kind of worries me. 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 24 January 2024, 09:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Nothing to worry, perfectly normal.

I guess, 1st is a normal ticket, without you being bound to a train. You can take any train from Salzburg to München, as long as it goes over Freilassing, Traunstein and Rosenheim.

2nd is a seat reservation for the Railjet (Intercity train in Austria). In German, the Umlaut (Ü) can be spelled as UE, as Ä can be spelled as AE, Ö as OE,  ß as ss.

Nothing strange, just common spelling rules when you don’t have the special signs on your keyboard. ;)

Thank you so much for your answer! This really helps since I don’t know the German language 🙏🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You’ll get used to the spellings. It tool me a while to work out why I couldn’t find tickets to Venice - because I was typing it the English way, instead of Venezia.

Incidentally, Hbf is short for Hauptbahnhof (main train station), indicating it’s the main station in that city. (Sometimes also abbreviated HB.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There is no need to cut the CIV Code out :D as this Code just says who the issuer of the Ticket is :D 1181 is for example Austrian Rail ÖBB :D 

While 1080 (can be seen on the route of your ticket) means German Rail DB :D