Solved

Train Connections Greece

• 28 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi there!

I've got a question about the train connection between Athens and Patras. Me and my boyfriend would like to travel around greece with interrail. We would like to take the train from Athens to Patras, and then take the boat from Patras to Italy. I think the Interrail site is a bit unclear about this. Is there a good connection from Athens to Patras by train or do we have to figure it out another way?

icon

Best answer by mcadv 28 March 2022, 14:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, there is not-since at least 5-6 yrs by now.

There used to be a narrow gauge railline all around the half-island, but the rails are still there-overgrown etc, but the trains not. It was the noble idea to regauge it and renovate etc-and that has till now only been feasible for about halfway-after that its a bus (DK if included in pass or not). This seems tipical for about any rail-plan anywhere in GR. As is the status of actual info from TrainOSE on what is on offer today+morrow.

As about anywhere in GR the normal green buses by KTEL transport the major nr of passengers-they are not overly expensive nor overly cheap. Also note that from the info on this forum-it gets asked many times, there is for now-or appears to be- NO real free ferry for trainpassholders-the ferry CAN be free (except port+fuel+season etc tax) if you have that Greek Islands Ferry Pass (Anek/Superfast ferries). Most of the many other ferries also give discounts-so simply save that travelpassday en use it somewhere else! ANY Gr port and all touristy places are full of agents happy to book a ferrytrip for you too.

Oh-en door GR reizen is per trein behoorlijk beperkt-in feite tot de hoofdlijn Ath-Thessaloniki met enkele zijlijntjes, niet de regio die de meeste toeristen trekt (behalve Thebe). NAAR GR per trein via oud-Joegoslavie is ook al ruim 2 jaar geheel buiten dienst.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Also check:

https://www.seat61.com/Greece.htm#london-to-greece-by-train

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Athens.htm