Solved

Train from Krakow to Berlin [URGENT]

• 2 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having some issues with making a reservation for the train going from Krakow to Berlin. The specific trains are the following:

Krakow to Berlin on 6th August, departing a bit after 10am

or the same route on the following day (7th August).

I can only make reservations on the intercity.pl for full price (~160PLN) or on polrail for 53PLN, but that is a paper ticket for which I’d need to pay a further 30PLN for ‘posting fees’ (and you can only book for tickets that are more, than 5 days from today). 
I also looked at other people’s questions on this forum, but it seems like most people are coming from Berlin making it possible for them to call in to DB and pick up a ticket somewhere. I couldn’t find the same alternative for Poland.

If you could follow this rather hectic description, thanks a lot, here comes my question:

Is it possible to just go into Krakow’s train station and buy a ticket there or it’ll be fully booked as we’re in high season? Or should I just pay that 83PLN (17,5€ which I find rather expensive for this route) for the paper ticket? Or is there any other solution?

Many thanks for any help,

Viki

icon

Best answer by mcadv 3 August 2022, 14:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The only ALT I can recall-and hope for you it may work-is to RES a seat TILl RZEPIN=last stop in PL on the 1/day direct IC, this should be able to be done online via pkp-intercity and indicate the discount-it will cost 1 or 2 PLN. Then you have your seat and noone will come after. BUT as the suplmt for pass is higher, you should in Krw go to counter, explain it and pay the few extra € in zloty-or else the conductor will charge you maybe double.

Ive never done this myself but I recall from reviews this process often hampers and the site blocks-but the the site was hacked many times last weeks from the russky in war with the west.

The ALT is changing in Poznan to the more WAW-Berlin direct trains

Next best-takes longer: PKP till Wroclaw, change, train DolnoSlaskie to Zgorzelec/GÖrlitz (this is imptt-G is the German side, west of the river), the use local DE trains-probably via Dresden- to B. To find times-split up in segments and use planner pf bahn.com

PKP-TLK trains should be REServed (locally free at counter) but there is no real check and many, many polski travel-standing for part of way.

The only ALT I can recall-and hope for you it may work-is to RES a seat TILl RZEPIN=last stop in PL on the 1/day direct IC, this should be able to be done online via pkp-intercity and indicate the discount-it will cost 1 or 2 PLN. Then you have your seat and noone will come after. BUT as the suplmt for pass is higher, you should in Krw go to counter, explain it and pay the few extra € in zloty-or else the conductor will charge you maybe double.

Ive never done this myself but I recall from reviews this process often hampers and the site blocks-but the the site was hacked many times last weeks from the russky in war with the west.

The ALT is changing in Poznan to the more WAW-Berlin direct trains

Next best-takes longer: PKP till Wroclaw, change, train DolnoSlaskie to Zgorzelec/GÖrlitz (this is imptt-G is the German side, west of the river), the use local DE trains-probably via Dresden- to B. To find times-split up in segments and use planner pf bahn.com

PKP-TLK trains should be REServed (locally free at counter) but there is no real check and many, many polski travel-standing for part of way.

Thank you so much for your message! It helped me a lot :) 

In the end I went to the train station in Krakow to reserve a ticket from Poznan to Berlin (I already had a ticket from Poznan to Rzepin and wanted to extend it). It only cost me 4€ (19zloty) and now I know I have a seat for the whole route. 
In case anyone else reads my question in the future, my advice is to dedicate an hour for reserving a ticket at the train station, the queue was quite long. This could have something to do with summertime and high season but I’m mentioning it just in case.