Solved

Train Reservations for Munich-Vienna

• 18 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello guys,

I was wondering if it was safe to get on a train from Munich to Vienna without having a seat reservation, as it is said on the Interrail website that no seat reservation was required for this route.

Does someone know if the trains from Munich to Vienna are usually full/very crowded ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

icon

Best answer by MartinM 19 July 2022, 08:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

hi!

Apparently if no reservation is required for that route you can just hop on the train, find a free seat and enjoy your trip (at least that is what an Interrail member told me). However they underlined that it would be ideal to frequently check in case there might be some changes.

Unfortunately I don’t know whether it will be crowded or not.

Hope you have a nice day 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can check scotty.oebb.at for the connection. There is also showed ig the train will be full. If a train is to full, people without reservation have to leave for security reasons.

hi!

Apparently if no reservation is required for that route you can just hop on the train, find a free seat and enjoy your trip (at least that is what an Interrail member told me). However they underlined that it would be ideal to frequently check in case there might be some changes.

Unfortunately I don’t know whether it will be crowded or not.

Hope you have a nice day 😁

Nice ok I’ll check it beforehand then, thank you !

You can check scotty.oebb.at for the connection. There is also showed ig the train will be full. If a train is to full, people without reservation have to leave for security reasons.

Alright I will look this up, thank you for the tip !

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

München-Vienna trains are usually quite busy as they are also used by people coming/going to Hungary and as the travel time is very competitive with airplanes.
If you travel by yourself, you should be able to find a seat without a reservation (but still no guarantee). If you are a bigger group, might be difficult. It also depends on the weekday… Friday/Sunday they will be full especially now during summer season.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Above all seats are screens that show what is REServed for what sector. From Sbg (1st stop in AT=Austria) there are many more trains-also near half-hourly RailJet. There is from there also private Westbahn (More basic/budget), accepts passes ONLY in Austria-they have now a few trips that start in M=the german part is not valid with pass.

There is 1 overnite and it may all be different for that-but for it you need to RES anyway