Solved

Train routes

• 4 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Good morning. I am a spanish touriste, and I am looking for any train route that goes from Skopje to Budapest. I have been looking for it on many web pages but i couldnt find any thing that helps me. Also, I want to ask if this internacional train can be used with my interrail pass, or I need a reservation and if I need it, how I could do this reservation.

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to your answer.

icon

Best answer by MartinM 5 October 2022, 10:19

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ola! No soy Espanol-but next week I will be thee and using my pass and hope for the best with RENFE.

An atlas will show raillines, but as a traveller you will want to ride a real train-and sad to say, as for now there is NONE. That is: none that goes over borders out of Macedonia, nor out/in to Serbije. It is bus only for now. This will thus also mean you cannot even reach Skopje by train from outside.

Currently the whole line Beograd-Budapest is under large scale renovation and reconstruction, only the very first part In Serbije has recently been finished. Even a train-replacing bus from Serbije to Szeged in HU has been said to be cancelled now. You have to use normal other buses-and pay for them, if you want to make these trips.

IF you insist on trains as much as can-then you have to go to Sofija (frequent bus from Skopje)-Bulgarija-then via Romania to HU/Budapest. That will lenghten trip time a lot-and all INTERNacionale trenes here must be REServed

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good morning, 

there is no direct route now, that’s true.

if you wanna go by train, then take the bus from Skopje to Sofia and then either go from Sofia via Ruse to Bucharest and take a nighttrain to Budapest from there or take the train from Sofia to Vidin, cross to Craiova and then nighttrain from Craiova (respectively another town in Romania) to Budapest. 
i would suggest you this if you have enough time.