Solved

Trains from Athens to Thessaloniki? No information online

• 23 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi there, 

I’ve been trying to work out how to ultimately get from Athens-Sarajevo! I’ve found buses from Thessaloniki -Skopje, Skopje-Belgrade and then Belgrade-Sarajevo.

To do this I was hoping to get a train from Athens to Thessaloniki before 9:00 and arriving at or before 15:00 to be on time for a Thessaloniki-Skopje bus the same day. However, I think TrainOSE haven’t updated their website and therefore I’m unable to see a timetable or any trains from Athens to Thessaloniki on the 6th of July and so am unable to plan these connections. 

Does anyone know roughly how many trains go from Athens to Thessaloniki on a daily basis and if there are earlier trains (pre-09:00)? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 February 2022, 09:58

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Greek railways currently only show trains until the end of March. I tried a few dates and they always seem to have the same timetable with 5 trains and the first one arrives in Thessaloniki at 10:32. There might be a timetable change in April, but I wouldn't hope for an arrival before 9. The night train that once existed also seems to have disappeared.

Greek railways currently only show trains until the end of March. I tried a few dates and they always seem to have the same timetable with 5 trains and the first one arrives in Thessaloniki at 10:32. There might be a timetable change in April, but I wouldn't hope for an arrival before 9. The night train that once existed also seems to have disappeared.

Thank you very much. I may have been unclear but I just needed a train to arrive around 14:00 and the earlier the better, so that’s perfect. Do you think it would be more or less likely that a train arriving at 10:32 would remain into the summer months? :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don't expect many changes but you never know. This is the current timetable:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Tip/hint: simply forget the train at all, it will be just a nuisance. Search for a direct bus to at least Beograd, perhaps even Ś́jevo. Will be more comfy, cost less and be much quicker in total. Unless you also plan to really visit/stay in those intermediate towns.

Another magic wonder for young travellers used to have all things on the fone: there may even be the odd busline that does not show up at all on any website!

Greek trains have a well-earned reputation for late arrivals.