Solved

Trains not in app?

• 29 July 2022
  • 5 replies

I want to go from Rotterdam to Porto. When I Google or use other planning tools I can find plenty or routes. But when I try via the interrail app - even when I try just small bits - there are 0 options. Does this mean interrail does not support the trains between certain destinations? Or should I book those seats somewhere else? 

icon

Best answer by SamCritch 29 July 2022, 20:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have experienced this a few times recently and it seems it is because the somewhat complex timetables of each of the train companies can’t always interconnect with each other or have not yet been uploaded (especially Renfe)

However I have just done a quick search for Rotterdam to Oprto - Campanha (Portugal) for mid August and it is showing several journeys - although they are about 2 days in length and requiring a lot of reservation fees.

The routing is

Rott - Par  Thalys (currently problematic) 

Par - Bcn (TGV)

Bcn - Mad (Renfe)

Mad - Merida (Renfe)

Merida - Badajoz (Renfe)

Badajoz - Entroncamento (Renfe)

Entroncamento - Porto (Intercity)

the Austrian site (oebb.com) is also showing several trains on 15/8 with an 0700 search.

Best of luck

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

A slightly better option is Rotterdam - Paris - Barcelona - Madrid - Vigo - Porto.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Lisannene there are a couple of main routes to Porto, but only two routes to actually get into Portugal by train (via Vigo to Porto or via Badajoz and Entroncamento). I think you’ve got the following challenges depending on which route you choose:

• Thalys to Paris - it’s possible to reserve in the app or on the Interrail site, but there’s a lot of demand
  • TGV from Brussels to Paris - it’s possible to reserve in the app, but again, there’s a lot of demand (note it is possible to travel on local trains Antwerpen → Lille → Paris)
  • TGV from Paris to Bordeaux - it’s possible to reserve in the app, but again, there’s a lot of demand
  • TGV from Paris to Barcelona, then on to Madrid - you can only reserve via the Interrail reservations service (with a paper reservation) or at a local station in Spain.
  • Renfe trains in Spain are in the planner, but most trains are compulsory reservation and you can pretty much only reserve at a station in Spain (I tried the phone line and the person I spoke to told me it’s not possible)
  • If you take the route via Bordeaux and Irun, then San Sebastian, there’s no train on the Interrail pass between Hendaye and Irun. You can either walk to Irun RENFE station (3 km, a nice walk) or take the Euskotren local train every 30 mins to Irun or San Sebastian (about €2.50). The person I spoke to in the station in San Sebastian was very helpful at 

When I did a route to Coimbra in November I ended up taking the train to Salamanca and then a Flixbus from Salamanca → Coimbra as it added so much time to go to Vigo to take a train to Porto and then to Coimbra.

Userlevel 3
Badge

A slightly better option is Rotterdam - Paris - Barcelona - Madrid - Vigo - Porto.

Also worth noting that if you go Rotterdam → Brussels → Lyon/Valence you can pick up the TGV to Barcelona and you don’t need to walk/metro across Paris to get from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Also worth noting that if you go Rotterdam → Brussels → Lyon/Valence you can pick up the TGV to Barcelona and you don’t need to walk/metro across Paris to get from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.

True. But the pass holder seats in the TGVs from Brussels to France sell out rather quickly.