Solved

Travel through home contry without the train stopping in it

Hello there,

consider this:

1. I’m from Germany (Eastern Germany to be exact, that is also important for my question)
  2. I’ve got a global Pass that is valid for 2 Months

I have read through many different situations on this forum but still can’t find an answer to the following question: 

I will be in France and want to travel back to Germany but I do not want to waste my inbound journey for a weekend in my hometown. I know that I can travel through Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria and Czech Republic. And I will do so. 

I found a nice night train that runs from Zürich to Prague without stopping in Germany - so far so good- but it still goes through Germany for some km. Am I allowed to use this? I sent a picture of the running Map of the train right down there.

I’ll just take the s-bahn with my 9-Euro Ticket from the border of Czech Republik for the last Meters.

I am looking forward to your answers!

icon

Best answer by cheval_sur_interrail 6 June 2022, 22:56

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, very interesting case. In my opinion, the fact that the train runs through Germany doesn’t play any role in this case, because the train doesn’t stop in Germany. From a tarification point of view, you remain in Austria between Innsbruck and Salzburg. Why? Look at fare offers on www.oebb.at. This is purely Austrian tarification. In fact: In the booking process, the customer never gets a note that the train runs through Germany. 

However, the difficulty for the Zurich-Prague night train will be somewhere else. U cannot book it online with Interrail. Check seat61.com about this. There it says: 

Prague to Zurich by EuroNight sleeper train:  With 2nd class pass, bed in 3-berth sleeper €45, bed in 2-berth sleeper €58, bed in single-berth sleeper €110.  With 1st class pass, bed in 3-berth deluxe sleeper with shower & toilet €45, bed in 2-berth deluxe sleeper with shower & toilet €58, bed in single-bed deluxe sleeper with shower & toilet €110.

Passholder reservations for this train cannot be made online, so call a European rail ticketing agency or book at a station.  Tip:  If you can book a month or two in advance you might find it less hassle to just buy a complete ticket at www.cd.cz, as the cheapest advance-purchase fare including a bed in a sleeper can be the same as you'd for the sleeper supplement to go with a pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Pass reservations for the sleeper Prague - Zurich can also be bought on the CD website.

Userlevel 1

Pass reservations for the sleeper Prague - Zurich can also be bought on the CD website.

Right, thanks ! Good to know for future trips.

Thank you very much indeed!