Solved

Traveling Paris-Switzerland-Italy: will I need to book each section and pay for a reservation?

• 6 March 2022
  • 2 replies

I’m concerned about the connections between Paris-Lucern-Zermatt-Milan-Venice. It’s multiple countries, trains and connections. I haven’t purchased our Eurail yet, plan to soon, but will I need to book each section AND pay the reservation fee for each leg of the trip? We will be staying one night in Lucern and 2 nights in Zermatt. I’m really excited about taking the Glacier Express for the Zermatt to Brig section then on to Milan and Venice. Any advise & tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.  

icon

Best answer by seewulf 6 March 2022, 05:52

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes you will need some reservations on the Route 

Paris - TGV - Switzerland (quite expensive) but you can travel a bit cheaper if you use the TGV just till the Last French Station (e.g. Muhlhouse) and use then a regionaltrain train to Basel. In Basel you have plenty connection to Lucerne (timeloss will be arround 20-30minutes) 

Glacier Express just for this short leg is wasted money (you take atleast the Route Visp- Zermatt already with the Regionaltrain as the GlacierExpress share the Route with them.) 

My suggestion steal from one of your Destinations a Night 😉 and stay one Night in Chur ;) 

Zermatt - Glacier Express Route - Chur 

And the next day Chur - Bernina Express Route - Tirano - Milan (from Tirano to Milan no reservation needed) 

Milan- Venice can be done with direct Highspeedtrains 10€ per seat for the reservation  or reservation free but quite longer with regionaltrains and a change in Verona :) 

Route suggestion from (to get the best out of the Eurailpass) me for Lucerne - Zermatt (Lucerne - Interlaken Ost- Spiez - (Regionaltrain via Kandersteg) to Brig and finally regionaltrain Brig- Zermatt 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Support seewulf: THE very best scenic sector in this ´gletscher´ non-expres (the slowest express in the world, they say!) is from Brig eastward-to Chur is all the way or you can change (more times!) into the north-south Gottard line halfway., via Andermatt