Solved

Travelling Nice to Barcelona

• 11 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi Everyone,

My fiancé and I are travelling with a 15 day pass and one of the trips is from Nice to Barcelona on July 9th. I believe this trip has 2 stops along the way in Montpellier and Marseille , however, for 2 days now we have been trying to reserve seats and it keeps coming as - not available - as if everything was booked out already. But prior to the 09/04 we couldn’t book because it exceeded the 90 days prior to the travel date and now on that day is all booked? It must be some kind of mistake surely! We have contacted support and we were told to keep trying, so I guess I am reaching out to see if anyone has any suggestions or has had a similar experience that tell me how it was navigated. 
thank you so much!  

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 11 April 2024, 10:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

TGVs can be booked on www.raileurope.com (desktop website only), which is also cheaper than Eurail. In addition, there is no 90-day booking horizon for France. This is an artificial limit that Eurail implemented for French trains.

If that doesn't work for you, then please specify which exact trains, with departure times, you're trying to book.

Userlevel 2

Nice to Marseille can also be done Booking free on the TER, which take the same railroads as the TGV so only slightly longer (because of more stops).

From Marseille there is one direct train to Barcelona a day, an AVI, but it can only be booked with the train staff on board.

It does seem strange that an entire train from Nice to Barcelona would be fully booked already, especially on a Saturday in July. and Try booking the two segments separately - Nice to Montpellier and Montpellier to Barcelona. Sometimes the connection gets blocked for some reason.

Thank you everyone! Currently exploring all your suggestions and will keep you posted.. there is so much to figure out when you are first travelling Europe😅