Skip to main content

We are planning to travel van Bar to Belgrade to Sofia to Istanbul around the half/end of July, but are trying to figure out the Belgrade - Sofia leg of the Journey. I came across some mentions here (including the site of the man in seat 61) stating that traffic between Belgrade and Sofia is still suspended.

However, if I have a look at several sites (Serbian railways, rome2rio, railcc, etc.) I'm given an option from Belgrade to Nis, (after a long stopover) Nis to Dimitrovgrad and Dimitrovgrad to Sofia.

Does anyone know what the current status of this connection is, where I might be able to check it, and if there are other possibities in case the service is not availble?

Thank you for your help

There are currently no direct trains from Belgrade to Sofia and yes the connection with changes even doesn´t worked for me :/

Belgrade only direct International connection is the train to Bar 😕 Belgrade - Budapest can be done with several changes and a short Bus replacement on the route takes even 1 or 2 days :/

Sofia - Istanbul just started it´s daily service few weeks ago after a long Covid break