Solved

Unable to book First Class seat reservation on EC 130

• 3 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I’m trying to book a First Class seat reservation on the above train - between Budapest and Rybnik, if that matters - but I can’t seem to do so online. cd.cz only seems to offer second class reservations which is odd.

The train does contain a single first class carriage - see the Vagonweb composition here: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=START&kategorie=EC&cislo=130&nazev=B%C3%A1thory&rok=2023 - and Mav also offers First Class tickets for sale, but no reservations.

I’m aware the Interrail website does offer First Class reservations, but I’m assuming the service only offers printed versions, at which point it is almost cheaper to just purchase an advance ticket in second class and save a pass day after factoring in the postage charge to the UK.

Alternatively, is it possible to book First Class seat reservations for this train over the counter in Germany / Austria / Romania beforehand? I’m assuming it should be possible to do it in Budapest too, but I’m only spending ~ 24 hrs in the city, so I’m guessing at that stage the reservations will have sold out.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 3 August 2023, 12:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The first class carriage in EC130 continues to Terespol. In Bohumín the through carriages to Przemyśl (via Rybnik) are attached to IC115 from Prague. And although both trains serve Katowice, they follow different routes between Bohumín and Katowice and only IC115 serves Rybnik.

That means there is 1st class on the entire journey but not in the same carriage. You'll need to book separate 1st class reservations Budapest-Bohumín and Bohumín-Rybnik. Works for me on tickets.oebb.at using “Seat reservation only”, for €3 each.

The first class carriage continues to Terespol and is detached in Bohumín, where the through carriages to Przemyśl are attached to IC115 from Prague. And although both trains serve Katowice, they follow different routes between Bohumín and Katowice and only IC115 serves Rybnik.

That means there is 1st class on the entire journey but not in the same carriage. You'll need to book separate 1st class reservations Budapest-Bohumín and Bohumín-Rybnik. Works for me on tickets.oebb.at using “Seat reservation only”, for €3 each.

Aha - that makes sense. Thank you for your help; I completely overlooked the need to change trains. All booked now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Aha - that makes sense. Thank you for your help; I completely overlooked the need to change trains.

It's not really obvious from the timetables planners you need to change in 1st class. DB has a remark "only 2nd class” when you ask for this journey but that's about all.