Solved

Unable to book seats Marseille to Madrid April 23

• 1 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone
I’m trying to book seats for the train from Marseille to Madrid on 23 April at 08:04 but interrail website says I cannot do it on the website. I live in Italy and am travelling with a friend so we’d like to book seats at the same time to be together. Before the login interrail website gave it available to book, but then it isn’t. I’m not going to be in Marseille before the 21 April so I should book it in advance, but how?
Can I do this in Italy? Or can I do it over the phone with a train company?

Thank you!

Eleonora

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 1 February 2024, 12:19

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately this train isn't available online nor at train stations except in Spain. It is very very annoying.

The only thing you can do is : on the day or the day before speak to RENFE staff (not SNCF) on the platform, they can issue passholder reservations for 10€. They're used to that, they are even able to sell folding seats if the train were to be full. On an April weekday the train shouldn't sell out, at least until Barcelona.

If things don't work out (but it shouldn't!) you can always take regional trains as far as Barcelona and then any AVE -> availability on the day pretty much guaranteed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Unfortunately there is no way of reserving this for passholders outside of visiting a ticket office in Spain.

Other people have reported being able to pay for a reservation onboard, preferably speaking to the train staff before travelling. As you will be boarding at the starting station this shouldn’t be a problem.

The train is unlikely to be full but there are no guarantees.

If you cannot board there are alternatives available to get you to Barcelona mostly by reservation free trains and then on to Madrid.