Solved

Unable to reserve EN 40476 Budapest-Berlin

Hi,

I’ve been trying to reserve seats for my wife and I on EN 40476 from Budapest to Berlin in late July and haven’t had much luck.

I first saw a recommendation to book this via oebb.at. I can book a combined ticket/reservation through that website, but if I search for reservations only, the website indicates “Ticket not available”. It’s a similar story with cd.cz and MAV -- it looks like they’ll happily sell me a pair of tickets but separate reservations aren’t available. 

Things get even weirder if I try to book it through the Eurail website directly. If I search for tickets for the two of us, I only see two options -- the seating compartment (ouch) and 2x single sleeper cabins ($$$). 

However, if I search for a ticket for one of us, I see all of the expected seat types.

These prices seem pretty high, but they are quite a bit less than the full ticket prices via oebb / MAV, so I guess this is just what a reservation costs? But regardless, I have no idea why I wouldn’t be able to choose a double sleeper cabin or a couchette when booking for the both of us together. I suppose I could reserve seats by booking individual seats twice, but I’d rather not be separated on the train because we booked separate reservations. 

I don’t think this is a case of seat availability on a specific day, because I’m getting the same behaviour when I look at trains any day in July or August. 

Has anyone successfully reserved eats on this train before? Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by mvkipper 29 May 2024, 08:45

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

On OBB website to book passholder seats/couchette/sleeper you must add Interrail/Eurail as discount for each traveller and search “Day Ticket” NOT “seat reservation”

www.nightjet.com is probably the better site to book from (this is also an OBB website) as it is a less confusing layout showing what you are booking, the same as above, add discount for each passenger.

As you didn’t specify the date I looked at a random date.

For 2 you can get:

a sleeper for 2 for €188

a sleeper for 3 for €138 (you will probably be sharing with 1 other person)

Couchette for 4 €108, Couchette for 6 €88 (shared with others)

Seats for €38 (sharing compartment with up to 4 others)

On OBB website to book passholder seats/couchette/sleeper you must add Interrail/Eurail as discount for each traveller and search “Day Ticket” NOT “seat reservation”

www.nightjet.com is probably the better site to book from (this is also an OBB website) as it is a less confusing layout showing what you are booking, the same as above, add discount for each passenger.

As you didn’t specify the date I looked at a random date.

For 2 you can get:

a sleeper for 2 for €188

a sleeper for 3 for €138 (you will probably be sharing with 1 other person)

Couchette for 4 €108, Couchette for 6 €88 (shared with others)

Seats for €38 (sharing compartment with up to 4 others)

Thank you, that totally cleared things up!