Solved

URGENT CURRENTLY TRAVELLING - FRANCE TRAIN STRIKES - BARCELONA TO PARIS

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all, 

Urgent request here. We were due to depart for Paris Gare de Lyon this coming Monday 22nd of May, but I just received an email from SNCF stating that our train had been cancelled due to a local rail strike. Email is as follows:

'Your train 9704 on 22/05 to PARIS GARE DE LYON is cancelled due to a local rail strike.

We advise you to contact your travel agent or your original selling point for the terms and conditions for exchanges and refunds before departure.

Find out details about how our services are running and be informed on any disruption on your journey on:

- SNCF.com. website under the timetables and live traffic updates section

- By calling 00 33 1 84 94 36 35 (cost of international call + fees of your phone operator) or at your original selling point.'

Our train was due to depart Monday 22nd from Barcelona Sants to Paris Gare de Lyon at 14:32. I have checked the SNCF website and I think there may be trains running, but I'm not so sure (looks like just basic trains with all stops?). We have accommodation in Paris that's unable to be cancelled for that day. Flights are a possibility but not so sure about pricing at this rate.

Is anyone able to urgently assist and/or provide advice as to what we can do? Thank you!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 22 May 2023, 20:19

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'll have a look and edit this post. Most high-speed trains look full but there are still some available...

Option 1 :

- R Barcelona-Sants - Cerbère 07:16 - 10:04

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 10:26 - 11:03

- TER Perpignan - Avignon Centre 11:10 - 14:28

- TER Avignon-Centre - Lyon Part-Dieu 16:17 - 18:40

- Tram Lyon Part-Dieu - Lyon Saint-Exupéry 19:00 - 19:29 few €

- TGV Lyon Saint-Exupéry - Paris Gare de Lyon 19:54 - 21:49 20€

Option 2 :

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 10:26 - 11:03

- TER Perpignan - Avignon Centre 11:10 - 14:28

- TER Avignon Centre - Valence-Ville 15:12 - 16:55

- TER Valence-Ville - Grenoble 17:10 - 18:30

- TGV Grenoble - Paris Gare de Lyon 18:46 - 21:49 20€ (same TGV as above)

SNCF should compensate all the trouble really…

Option 3 :

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 10:26 - 11:03

- TER Perpignan - Montpellier St-Roch 11:10 - 13:09

- TGV Montpellier St-Roch - Valence TGV 13:48 - 15:02 10€

[Updating]

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Availability keeps changing every minute... here is a good option :

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 10:26 - 11:03

- TER Perpignan - Montpellier St-Roch 11:10 - 13:09

- TGV Montpellier St-Roch - Lyon Part-Dieu 13:57 - 15:50 20€ 2nd class or 21€ 1st class

- TGV Lyon Part-Dieu - Paris Gare de Lyon 16:34 - 18:38 20€

Book it ASAP here : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

4€ booking fee per order

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you so much for checking! I really appreciate this, my friends and I have been thinking of every other plan since we found out and it's so difficult to check on our phones especially since we're not familiar with European train systems...

With all of these train rides, will they need to be booked via Eurail? And in particular, will the Spanish one need to have reservations? (We had a VERY long and complex reservation issue with Renfe... Would prefer not to go through that again!) And with the TGV Paris lines, reservations will need to be booked for them too correct?

As you mentioned, hopefully SNCF will reimburse or change trains for us but we will contact them tomorrow. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The 2 TGVs in Option 3 needs to be booked in advance (actually ASAP). You can use the b-europe link (less fee than eurail.com).

All other trains (Barcelona - Cerbère - Perpignan - Montpellier) do not require seat reservations. Add the train to the app before boarding and that's it.

You may also board the first train at another station in Barcelona if it closer to your accomodation. The regional train stops at Paseo de Gracia at 07:21 (be early as it is a complex station).

I'm still looking for a fourth option but things aren't looking good. I'd book option 3 right now. Do not hesitate for questions, I'm here

How many are you ? This is a very important question for availability.

Userlevel 1
Badge

There's three of us altogether! 

Your suggestions made me realize something: upon checking the availability of the train, it looks like they have created a new departure station, being Perpignan station:

Do you think it's still possible to keep said reservation and just find a way to get to Perpignan before 4pm? Or should we just go and book those trips as you suggested?

Thank you again!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As TGV seat reservations are 100% refundable before departure, I'd make them anyway (option 3). Tomorrow you call SNCF and ask them if you can still board the first planned TGV but from Perpignan instead of Barcelona. It would be quite good if it's possible, it would mean a relaxed departure on Monday (11:16).

3 people is the perfect number as there are only 3 seats left on the first TGV (it seems). Here we go :

- TGV Montpellier St-Roch - Lyon Part-Dieu 13:57 - 15:50 20€ 2nd class or 21€ 1st class (upgrade with a 2nd class pass + seat reservation so book it hehe)

- TGV Lyon Part-Dieu - Paris Gare de Lyon 16:34 - 18:38 20€

Use https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

It'll ask you for a pass cover number during the booking process, create one here : 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you!! I have booked both tickets for option 3 as you suggested, but will contact SNCF tomorrow to confirm if we can still actually depart from Perpignan if we make our way there. 

To confirm regarding the seat refunds for TGV, who do we need to contact to apply for those refunds (over the phone or online) and does the refund request need to be made by the 22nd, or can it be made on the day of departure but just before the train departs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'm glad you made them ! At least you know that you'll make it to Paris on Monday (unless SNCF doesn't want to...).

Per this official page https://public-pf.b-europe.com/en/Producten/Details?id=3bbeed01-fe57-40ff-8f63-2868650bb580 it is a "100% refund before departure" which to me would mean the departure time (but I might be wrong).

You get refunds at the same place where you've booked the seats, so in this case b-europe. It is maybe explained in the confirmation email.

Let us know how it goes, I'm quite curious. Truly everything can happen with SNCF. Like why is the train cancelled only for the short Spanish high-speed railway…

Edit : if you're able to take the TGV from Perpignan in the end, here would be your schedule :

- R Barcelona-Sants - Cerbère 11:16 - 13:56

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 14:26 - 15:03

You could also leave earlier and stop to eat in Cerbère

Hope everything goes well !

Userlevel 1
Badge

My friend was worried about the Paris strikes and it looks like she had every right to be...! We only just booked these seats this morning too!!

I double checked the booking emails and it does say that we can contact them between 8am and 8pm, so I'll keep that in mind. 

I will definitely let you know the outcome... and whether we get to Paris on time! But like you said, anything can happen... but I'm hoping this is the only issue we face (touch wood!) 

Thank you again, seriously. We had absolutely no idea what we were going to do. Watch this space for updates...!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Morning! Just got off the phone to SNCF and was informed that it's not departing from Perpignan, but Montpellier St Roch... so it looks like we will have a super early start tomorrow morning! At least we get to Paris earlier (was supposed to get there at 2130 with the cancelled train)

I think we are close to Paseo de Gracia (Passeig de Gracia? The metro line?) So I might go there today sometime to try and navigate the area. Otherwise we will go to Barcelona Sants - if we can catch a taxi at that time that is! 

What are the trains like between Barcelona - Cerbère - Perpignan - Montpellier? Are they often full during these times? We all have 3 medium to large suitcases so we have to navigate the trains with those... 

Also did you have any advice or suggestions for the short turn around times we have between trains? I notice the shortest time is around 7 minutes at Perpignan. We just don't want to miss that train (for example) and then have to rethink our whole schedule again... lol! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah I've found a "possible" explanation for the cancelled TGV... There are always 2 coupled TGVs : 1 unit from Barcelona, 1 from Perpignan and they both go all the way to Paris. I guess the unit from Barcelona only starts at Montpellier then... (while the other runs as planned from Perpignan). 

Did they offer to pay for the Montpellier - Lyon - Paris TGVs ?

Now onto tomorrow's journey :

The train leaves Barcelona-Sants at 07:16, it is a big station so absolutely come 15-20 min in advance. At 07:21 it then stops at Passeig de Gracia, also an extensive and complicated underground station.

The train tracks are actually under Casa Battló, there are stairs at the front of the building. (The subway tracks are a bit further south if I remember correctly). Also come in advance because there are gates and you'll need to show staff your pass to enter

It is a commuter train so I don't expect it to be particularly busy, especially as you're going in the other direction. https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/paris-to-barcelona-by-sleeper-train.htm#Whats_the_journey_like_portbou (2 pics at the bottom of the page)

The connection at Cerbère should go well, it's a small station. Then it'll be 2 TER regional trains. The connection in Perpignan is certainly guaranteed as it's usually a through train (except at 11am...). Maybe the connecting train will be waiting on the opposite platform.

You should have enough time in Montpellier to buy something to eat

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ahhh that would make sense then! But it's odd because when I asked her if it's possible to board at Perpignan, she essentially said no as it's at Montpellier. No offer to change the trains over either? Ah well. And no they didn't but I guess I didn't ask them outright. She wasn't that forthcoming about the train being cancelled and when I asked her what could be done, she said I could either receive a refund or change my travel dates (would have been on the 24th).

I'm quite nervous about starting the trip here at Barcelona as Barcelona Sants is around 3km from our accommodation and Passeig de Gracia is a lot closer (900m, 18 minute walk). From what you have mentioned, I feel a little bit relieved that Cerbère and Perpignan should be quite straight forward, but I will have to make sure to pay attention to the correct trains and train number!! In Italy we boarded the completely wrong train (I read the train number incorrectly) as they were both leaving from the same platform within minutes of each other!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I guess the Perpignan unit is full. But yeah they're not exactly customer-friendly. Hopefully they refund the cancelled TGV.

I'd start at Passeig de Gracia then. It will be much less stressful to enter the station at Casa Battló than further south and then having to walk through loooong hallways (I've done that multiple times in Barcelona...).

There shouldn't be many trains in Cerbère. The French TER may actually come from Portbou, on the Spanish side, but the connection there is much tighter, that's why it's better to change in Cerbère. 

And yes always double-check. In Perpignan the train's destination should be Avignon Centre

Userlevel 1
Badge

They did refund the cancelled TGV so that's been sorted!

I will make sure that we enter via Casa Battló instead! It's a tiny bit of an extra walk, but if that makes it easier for us to get in then we'll do it!

Thank you for all the information, I have taken a screenshot of the trip and your advice in case we get into a internet blackspot, lol. I'm not as anxious now, but I'll be completely relieved when we're in Paris!!

EDIT: Oh I'm just booking the tickets for tomorrow- does it matter on the Eurail app if Cebère station is either the French or the Spanish side? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I can't find the 07:21 train when selecting Cerbère (France) so I guess you have to choose Cerbère (Spain)

You can add the train to your journey right noe but I'd only activate the train (switch the toggle) right before boarding, you can do that in airplane mode.

And yes the extra walk is better done on the street than underground. The 07:21 train is a R11 line train so follow those signs if they exist

Userlevel 1
Badge

Okay, a bit of an issue with Cebère train station as there doesn't appear to be one to Perpignan at 1026:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah you need to search from Cerbère (France)... that way it should work. As always Rail Planner does strange things

Userlevel 1
Badge

Done! All booked, will activate the tickets as we get closer to the departure times. Massive thank you again!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're welcome ! And let us know how it goes

Enjoy your last day in Barcelona

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But it's odd because when I asked her if it's possible to board at Perpignan, she essentially said no as it's at Montpellier. No offer to change the trains over either? Ah well. And no they didn't but I guess I didn't ask them outright. She wasn't that forthcoming about the train being cancelled and when I asked her what could be done, she said I could either receive a refund or change my travel dates (would have been on the 24th).

That's incomplete information from SNCF and therefore a breach of Regulation 1371/2007. You're always entitled to use another connection and they should at least have mentioned the possibility to use other trains. I bet she didn't mention SNCF would have to pay for any extra hotel nights until the first train they were offering you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

But it's odd because when I asked her if it's possible to board at Perpignan, she essentially said no as it's at Montpellier. No offer to change the trains over either? Ah well. And no they didn't but I guess I didn't ask them outright. She wasn't that forthcoming about the train being cancelled and when I asked her what could be done, she said I could either receive a refund or change my travel dates (would have been on the 24th).

That's incomplete information from SNCF and therefore a breach of Regulation 1371/2007. You're always entitled to use another connection and they should at least have mentioned the possibility to use other trains. I bet she didn't mention SNCF would have to pay for any extra hotel nights until the first train they were offering you.

Oh wow, no they didn't mention anything about using another connection, using other trains or even paying the extra hotel nights! That would have made things really easier if we had known this... the email did state I could get a refund or an "exchange" but when I asked her, she only provided the refund and alternate scheduling day. 

I guess because I didn't know this information beforehand there's not much I can do now, is there? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

You're welcome ! And let us know how it goes

Enjoy your last day in Barcelona

We have safely arrived in Paris! The only tight turn around was Cebère. Spanish police got on one station before to check passports, and because of that, it took an extra 5 or so minutes to arrive! And then the French Police were there to check our passports, so we had to all race for the train. There were even a few other passengers who were going to Paris after having (what I believe) the same train cancelled!

And strangely in Perpignan, there was at least two free seats (from what I could see in my section anyway) available that weren't used for the whole trip. 

Anyway... we're here for the next few days! We've used up our Eurail passes too so we're on our own lol 

Thank you all for the help! It really is appreciated 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks very much for the feedback ! It would’ve been a shame to miss the train… Yes you surely weren’t the only ones bound for Paris

Enjoy your stay now