Solved

Ventimiglia Station Layover

• 16 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi,

On Sunday Sept 18 I have booked a train from Nice to Rome. It’s a TER from 5:36 am from Nice to Ventimiglia. However, my train from Ventimiglia to Rome is 8 hours direct. I only have 10 minutes to transfer from the TER or IC train. I’m wondering if anyones knows how big the Ventimiglia station is? I don’t want to miss the train and I have bought seat reservations and it’s the only direct one that day. Thank you in advance!! 

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 16 September 2022, 18:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your major worry-I speak from experience- is STRIKe again-a favorite pastime of both the French and the Italiano, followed by delays-often on very first trains of day. How big a stazione is often does not matter-more on where trains are stabled-and from what I remember as there are only 2 directions there it is either same platform (thus other side) or via tunnel to next platform.

But with some more changes you can go ev 1 or 2 hrs onward, it does not mean all is lost then (but probably yes the 3€ fee for IC)

Your major worry-I speak from experience- is STRIKe again-a favorite pastime of both the French and the Italiano, followed by delays-often on very first trains of day. How big a stazione is often does not matter-more on where trains are stabled-and from what I remember as there are only 2 directions there it is either same platform (thus other side) or via tunnel to next platform.

But with some more changes you can go ev 1 or 2 hrs onward, it does not mean all is lost then (but probably yes the 3€ fee for IC)

Oh no… I had no idea they striked. Hopefully the second train from Vent-Rome is delayed… I hope that doesn’t happen because we have everything booked in Rome now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

On sunday is strike? in Italy not and about TER Sud Est I can't find a strike info, but @mcadv sometimes is over dramatic.

The Ventimiglia station is not big. 

@travellingdoglover 

I know Italy is on strike today; I feel like striking on Sunday does not happen as much as weekdays. Thank you so much. I hope we catch our train 

On sunday is strike? in Italy not and about TER Sud Est I can't find a strike info, but @mcadv sometimes is over dramatic.

The Ventimiglia station is not big. 

@travellingdoglover

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I can confirm Ventimiglia is a small station and at that time should be OK. 

There is a realistic alternative at 0910 via Genoa that gets you into Rome 2 hours later using a FrecciaBianca (13 euro res fees) or 3 hours later using an IC from Genoa (6 euro res fees)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you book via ÖBB online or at mayor train stations in Europe you pay for Frecciabianca 10€ (instead of 12€ via Eurail.com) and 3€ for the IC (instead of 5€ via Eurail.com)

If you book via ÖBB online or at mayor train stations in Europe you pay for Frecciabianca 10€ (instead of 12€ via Eurail.com) and 3€ for the IC (instead of 5€ via Eurail.com)

Thank you so much!!

I can confirm Ventimiglia is a small station and at that time should be OK. 

There is a realistic alternative at 0910 via Genoa that gets you into Rome 2 hours later using a FrecciaBianca (13 euro res fees) or 3 hours later using an IC from Genoa (6 euro res fees)

Thank you! I downloaded the app Trenìt and it shows that the train always is on Platform 3 at Ventimiglia. Google says there’s only 7 platforms so I think I should be okay as long as my first train isn’t late. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Should you miss your connection, then speak with the staff. They should rebook you on an alternative connection without additional costs.