Solved

What happens if my train reservation is not mandatory but recommended and i can't get a reservation ?

• 28 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi, i’m travelling around Europe with a friend in april and i have a reservation question.

There is a train that we would like to take from Berlin to Amsterdam on the 23rd of april, it says that we are ready to board and that we can buy a seat reservation if we like, it's not required but its “recommended” (in green). The problem is that the prices for this reservation are unavailable, which probably means that there are no reservations left. My question is, will we still be able to get on this train ? And if we can will there be any seats left or will we have to stand up for 6 hours ?

Thank you !

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 28 March 2023, 15:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you search for the journey on www.Bahn.com, it will give you a forecast of how busy the train is likely to be. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Reservations are possible for that train on bahn.de for 4,50€ (no booking fee). Select seat reservations and you'll be able to choose your seats. :)

Be aware that due to engineering works that weekend the IC trains do not run to Amsterdam but to Amersfoort instead where you'll need to change.

- 08:29 departure : plenty of seats left

- 10:29 departure : many seats left

- 12:29 departure : few seats left

I'd really recommend to buy one in advance for that train as it can be very busy. 

As a general advice : do not buy seat reservations direct from Interrail/Eurail as they have booking fees + it's not always up to date. Instead use the companies' websites with advice here :

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105/