Skip to main content

Hello! I have a question about recommended seat reservations. I understand that it is not required, but what happens if I don't book a seat? Is there a chance that I'm not going to be allowed on a train or is it a matter of finding an actual sitting place? Essentially, I'm asking whether not booking a seat creates a risk of missing the train or is it simply a risk of standing instead of sitting?

Hello! I have a question about recommended seat reservations. I understand that it is not required, but what happens if I don't book a seat? Is there a chance that I'm not going to be allowed on a train or is it a matter of finding an actual sitting place? Essentially, I'm asking whether not booking a seat creates a risk of missing the train or is it simply a risk of standing instead of sitting?

Usually you risk without a reservation to stand your journey on the train.
However if a train is really crowded (happens on Fridays, Mondays/Sundays from time to time in Germany and since the new “Klimaticket” even in Austri) all passengers without a reservation can be forced to leave the train.

General example

100% of a train are all seats
If the train is filled up to 150% (all seats occupied + half standing)  the Train staff in Germany have to ask passengers without reservation to leave the train 😕 If not enough leave the train they ask the Secruity or Police to assist and force more passengers to leave the train.

As such not really that much different from PKP in PL. I watched some overcrowded Poszpiesny coming FROm WAW on FRI-eve a week or 2 ago whilst I sat in a KM train from Modlin.

As sebas already tells: unitll now I´ve only heard of such things in DE and AT-and mostly on days that anyone who is from EUR can know its superbusy=long weekends etc (USAers etc tend not to know that as they have quite different days off). 

BUT then in my country (NL, I live near Haga, the city with nearly 100.000 polski/lietuvo people) there are also reports of trains being cleared and cancelled-which thus only leads to even more overcrowding on the next train= over 15/20 mins.

I these countries in zachodnie EUR it is common for nearly all trainlines to run at least ev. hour or even more-a thing that PKP could perhaps also strive to get.