What is the best way to get from Naples to Sorrento?

Hi everyone, 

I have an 8 day Italy interRail pass for this Summer and would like some advice. What is the best way to get from Naples to Sorrento using the pass? On journey planner, no train stops show for Sorrento or the Amalfi coast. 

Thanks 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey,

AFAIK the  trains going to Sorrento are not included in the Interrail pass. You can get them from the underground station in Napoli Centrale (“Ferrovia Circumvesuviana”).
Don’t know about prices as I didn’t use it, but suppose it is not expensive.

Another option to get to Amalfi coast is from Salerno, I went there from this place. You can take a boat (more expensive) or a bus. During the day buses might get very full. Buses are cheap. For the best views sit on the left side from Salerno, on the right side from Sorrento. 
Buy the bus tickets from the kiosk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Italian railways have only recently released their summer timetables (from 12 June); they will probably be included in the next update. The best place to check Italian timetables is www.trenitalia.com.

However, the train Naples - Sorrento is operated by Ferrovia Circumvesuviana and is not included in the pass. Timetables can be found here (currently only reachable from within Italy - maybe they're suffering from a hacker attack?) or here (this is not their own website though).

Tickets are cheap: €3.90 for a single or €4.90 if you need to use other transport companies at either end.

Hey,

AFAIK the  trains going to Sorrento are not included in the Interrail pass. You can get them from the underground station in Napoli Centrale (“Ferrovia Circumvesuviana”).
Don’t know about prices as I didn’t use it, but suppose it is not expensive.

Another option to get to Amalfi coast is from Salerno, I went there from this place. You can take a boat (more expensive) or a bus. During the day buses might get very full. Buses are cheap. For the best views sit on the left side from Salerno, on the right side from Sorrento. 
Buy the bus tickets from the kiosk.

Thank you for your response. 

Italian railways have only recently released their summer timetables (from 12 June); they will probably be included in the next update. The best place to check Italian timetables is www.trenitalia.com.

However, the train Naples - Sorrento is operated by Ferrovia Circumvesuviana and is not included in the pass. Timetables can be found here (currently only reachable from within Italy - maybe they're suffering from a hacker attack?) or here (this is not their own website though).

Tickets are cheap: €3.90 for a single or €4.90 if you need to use other transport companies at either end.

Thank you very much for your response.