Solved

When should we become a group?

• 31 March 2024
  • 5 replies

We are a group of four travelling from different parts of the UK to continental Europe via London. We will be meeting at London St Pancras to take the Eurostar. For example, one of us will be travelling from Manchester to Bruges via London. Another one from Brighton to Bruges via London. How do we make sure the interrail app books seats for us as a group (or at least on the same trains) from London onwards?

I am assuming that if we set up a group too early, we won't be able to travel separately from different parts of the UK to London. And if we set up a group too late, we may end up on different trains and with seats far apart.

icon

Best answer by Hektor 1 April 2024, 00:27

View original

5 replies

The interrail app doesn’t book seats at all.

You need to buy your reservations for Eurostar e.g. here: Train tickets in Europe - Search & Book on Rail Europe (30 € 2nd class / 38 € 1st class).

If you book them for your group, you’ll be seated together. 

You don’t need any reservations for the other trains anyway so it doesn't matter.

But it's as simple as that: If you'd like to go together, you do a reservation for that part of your trip all together. It's possible to change tje allocated seats (for Eurostar).

There's no need to enter e.g. Manchester to Bruges; you may enter each train separately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s also worth knowing that you can change your allocated seats on the Eurostar if you want. Just log into tthe website with your booking reference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It’s also worth knowing that you can change your allocated seats on the Eurostar if you want. Just log into tthe website with your booking reference.

and because of that you could even book each on your own :) and then change later on the Eurostar Website or their Eurostar App the seats to be together :) 

Thanks everyone. I booked eurostar but I couldn’t figure out how we could add the Manchester - London part and it’s probably too late now. Apparently, you can use a national service from somewhere in the UK to get to London for a €6 reservation fee, but various engines didn’t offer the option. It seems we will have to buy standard tickets to get to London after all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks everyone. I booked eurostar but I couldn’t figure out how we could add the Manchester - London part and it’s probably too late now. Apparently, you can use a national service from somewhere in the UK to get to London for a €6 reservation fee, but various engines didn’t offer the option. It seems we will have to buy standard tickets to get to London after all.

No need to buy any tickets or even to buy reservations in the UK. Your Interrail pass is your ticket and reservations are optional and free of charge. 

You just add the train you want to travel with as a journey in the Railplanner.