4 months Europe Travel (US Citizen)

• 21 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello!

I plan to travel to Europe for 4 months starting May 2022.

I plan on buying the 3 months unlimited Eurail global pass.

I understand that there’s a 90 day limit for tourist visas in a 180 day period for US citizens. 

Does that mean I have to fly out of the Schengen zone on day 90? Or can I use the Eurail pass  to travel to non-Schengen countries after the 90th day?

would love any insight and help on this! :)

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I suppose it doesn't matter how you leave Schengen. But this forum is about the use of Eurail/Interrail passes, not about Schengen regulation details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

90 days MAX is for having NO visa.

You need a real VISA (=not that card, but an extra stamp in your passpt) when you want to stay longer.

Your passpt will be checked+registrated-(of course since this century its all automatic and stored in the giant system) on enrty and leave of the combined Schengen zone. Overstay: hard to say what will then happen, but what you can be sure of is that you will be BANned from entry for some period-even for just changing planes on the way back to USA if you use some EUR-airline and have to change planes inside the zone.

And yes-use a general touristy forum for all the strange and looking for the finest detail of USA thinkers-all of them will allready have been tried out and tested+answered before!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you stay more than 90days in the Schengenarea it can be cause major Problems like a entry ban for a specific period. The bestway is to have route in mind with Countries that are not in the Schengenarea :) For example UK, Croatia,Serbia,Albania,Montengro,Turkey and in less stressfull times even Ukraine or Moldova.
All informations regarding Schengen :) can be found here https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses @rvdborgt @mcadv @seewulf ! I do plan on taking Eurail and mixing up the route to maximize the trip without overstaying whether that be Schengen or non Schengen. This was an especially great suggestion! @seewulf . Will look more into it!