Solved

Annecy to Geneva

• 20 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge +2

The Eurail Planning app says there are half a dozen trains from Annecy France to Geneva Switzerland on Sunday. However, when I check the French Oui-scnf app, it shows no trains Trainline also shows no trains at all. A local fellow says there are no trains or not dependable, and recommends the bus. But the Eurail app still shows these train trips - they are TER (SCNF) trains with numbers and stops listed out. 

Can anyone explain what is going on? Is the planning app wrong, or is SCNF wrong? I am not sure if the train office will be open on a Sunday to ask them. 

icon

Best answer by Sven 21 November 2021, 04:59

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On which day is that?

Edit: apparently tomorrow. Strange. The SNCF TER website just lists the trains.

The SNCF planner is not really great (and that's an understatement) but I haven't seen anything like this before.

Badge +2

I checked tomorrow and Monday. Normally the planner is pretty decent. I had a little problem with it going from Avignon to Aix-en-Provence where it was completely unaware there is a bus from Aix TGV to Aix, so it does not list that at all. The other issue is rail work which cancelled a lot of trains in Southern France and it just shows noting in the search but no reasons given

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

The Eurail Planning app says there are half a dozen trains from Annecy France to Geneva Switzerland on Sunday. However, when I check the French Oui-scnf app, it shows no trains Trainline also shows no trains at all. A local fellow says there are no trains or not dependable, and recommends the bus. But the Eurail app still shows these train trips - they are TER (SCNF) trains with numbers and stops listed out. 

Can anyone explain what is going on? Is the planning app wrong, or is SCNF wrong? I am not sure if the train office will be open on a Sunday to ask them. 

The website of HAFAS, SBB SWITZERLAND, and TER AURA indicate that there are indeed trains running on this connection today.

So this information must be correct!

Badge +2

I checked SBB.ch, and you are right. They show the French TER trains and they seem to agree with the planning app. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I checked SBB.ch, and you are right. They show the French TER trains and they seem to agree with the planning app. 

On your connection there are trains from Leman Express, a Swiss company, running today.

Badge +2

This looks like a French TER train but perhaps dual-labeled?

9:44 am : Train
TER L2 23419
Direction Genève

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

This looks like a French TER train but perhaps dual-labeled?

9:44 am : Train
TER L2 23419
Direction Genève

I think it's a Leman Express train, it is also indicated as such via app cff.

It's probably a collaboration between SNCF and CFF, but not sure.

Badge +2

Took the train without incident …. Swiss train

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Took the train without incident …. Swiss train

So it was a Leman Express train?

The trip was included in your interrail global pass, so without reservation costs?

Badge +2

Yes that’s correct. The planning app was correct. 

Although today planning app said there as a train at 12:59, and no such train was on the monitor. I asked at SBB office and the train actually was scheduled 12 minutes earlier at 12:47 with same arrival time. Lucky I came to station early and lucky they had a short line for info. If this would have happened in France I would have missed the train waiting in line.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Although today planning app said there as a train at 12:59, and no such train was on the monitor. I asked at SBB office and the train actually was scheduled 12 minutes earlier at 12:47 with same arrival time. Lucky I came to station early and lucky they had a short line for info. If this would have happened in France I would have missed the train waiting in line.

😱😱😱😱

Which connection was this where SBB's app said another departure time?

Badge +2

😱😱😱😱

😱😱😱😱

Geneva to Luzern was listed at 12:59 pm (and there were other trains at 11:59, 13:59, etc) Monday Nov 22, 2021. No such train appeared on the announcement boards in Geneva station. I went to into line of SBB in the station, and the lady pulled out her phone and found the 12:47 train. Both trains arrived in Zurich at 16:01. It was about 12:38 at that time, so I still had 9 minutes to find the track and board (instead of 21 minutes I thought I had).