Solved

Can I board a sleeper from a later stop than I book from?

• 21 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
  • Railly clever
  • 164 replies

Hello all,

I'd really like to know whether I would - theoretically - get away with booking a sleeper terminus to terminus, but only actually boarding it further on.

The reason I ask is that I am (as always) planning my trip for next summer, and I'm extremely interested in taking the night train to Kiev (ÖBB discount it for passholders right up to the Ukrainian border) - *but*, it might suit me better to board it at Budapest rather than Vienna.

I think a ticket for two passholders sharing a two-berth compartment is about €114 or so, bought at oebb.at, but they only sell Vienna-Kiev. It's possible to buy only Budapest-Kiev at polrail.com, but it seems to be more than double the price.

I would need to do the journey west to east because the ticket has to be picked up in person in Austria beforehand.

Does this sound like something that would work out alright, or would I invalidate or forfeit my ticket by doing this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

icon

Best answer by seewulf 21 June 2021, 22:46

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The problem is that the Sleeper Car Conductor assume you will board the train already in Vienna if you doesn´t show he would sell the berths once more if somebody asks for the Berths last minute. Reservation are often valid for just 15min after depatures if you doesn´t show they think it´s a no show and can resell the seats for other Travlers.

The special Interrail offer for this Nighttrain is only valid from Vienna. Why dont take a train back from Budapest to Vienna get dinner and wait in the OBB Lounge for your Nighttrain as Sleeper Reservations allow a visit in the OBB Lounge :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thanks profusely, I’m exceedingly glad I asked!

Why dont take a train back from Budapest to Vienna get dinner and wait in the OBB Lounge for your Nighttrain as Sleeper Reservations allow a visit in the OBB Lounge :)

Now I know how people from Folkestone feel when they want to catch the Eurostar at the moment :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks profusely, I’m exceedingly glad I asked!

Why dont take a train back from Budapest to Vienna get dinner and wait in the OBB Lounge for your Nighttrain as Sleeper Reservations allow a visit in the OBB Lounge :)

Now I know how people from Folkestone feel when they want to catch the Eurostar at the moment :smile:

Haha :D