Do know know "the man on seat 61" ?

• 28 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Hey folks, do you know the man in seat sixty-one?

He’s the sage of the European railway network. Check out his website: https://www.seat61.com/

When I’m not sure if I can reach a far destination, say Brussels - Athens, I look up his website where he has bundled so much good information for the Interrail traveler. There are maps, with many alternative traveling routes, tips for enjoying your journey and stays, and much more.

Visit the site and dream about your next travel adventure.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We quote that about daily and for all situations were complicated train-busgap etc have to be done. or for general overveiws on some cross-border links.

As he is married with a dutch wife and they often visit NL, he, Mark Smith,  is also well known in dutch transport circles. And every now and then in the past yrs I have also sent him some small new items about last minute changes.

IN the past he even sometimes appeared in this forum as knowledgeable answering person, but this seems to have seized. He still does that daily in a general touristy forum- tripadvisor, which has both a trains section/subforum and also most often in many questions per country.

It should however be said that by now some info in his blog/.site is getting a bit dated and not always properly updated-but that is mostly OUTside of EUR so does not really have to bother passholders here. He also seems to be more and more interested in those hi-fancy expensive all in a single sleeper and I do not care how much it cost crowd.